Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xrr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2008, 10:19 AM

Baths

How often should i bath my dog? i have heard that too many baths can ruin the naturally oils in a dogs coat.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Only when it is unbearable to live with, well thats my theory but other would disagree I'm sure.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Frequent bathing will not ruin a coat. Washing does remove the natural oils temporarily but they are restored fairly quickly.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 02:35 PM
i only bath if they rolled in fox poo etc other than that i don't if they are muddy i wait for it to dry and give a good brush and it comes off no probs. hope that helps
xrr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2008, 02:51 PM
okay thanks! is this the same for every breed because i am getting a bolognese and plan to grow her hair long...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 06:27 PM
The best person to ask that would be the breeder, I may be wrong but think they can suffer with skin irritation so if you bath you must be very sure the shampoo is suitable and that it is well washed out. On the other hand I think you will have to bath if you wish to keep the coat looking good.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Regular brushing will help to keep the coat clean as well astangle free, you can use Mr Groom coat preperations that will reduce the need for bathing, but as stated their are many Shampoos on the market that do not strip the coat of oils,but as a groomer i wouldn't recomend more than every 2mths, just wash around the bum area and mouth on a regular basis, and also make sure the inside of the ears are hair free and clean, these point help to keep your dog smell free,
springerfreak
New Member!
Male 

27-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by workinggsd View Post
but as a groomer i wouldn't recomend more than every 2mths, just wash around the bum area and mouth on a regular basis,

We have just bought an American Cocker puppy and the breeder we bought her from in Blackpool advised us to bathe weekly and groom daily, now getting very confused over differing advice
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 11:55 PM
I think it does depend on breed. Not all have the same coats or skin/coat conditions and many coats are affected by bathing, some are not (eg, my breed needs a harsh coat, so bathing to frequently can soften the coat with certain products).

I would ask your breeder
xrr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2008, 04:05 PM
okay thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >