View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:03 PM
yes but they arent doing that at all- the breed clubs need to take a long hard look at themselves and INSIST on health testing and only clear tests being able to qualify / breed from and it should be for the better of the breed - but they are the ones that seem to NOT be willing to do this - I am sure there are many that do - but I am specifically referring to those breeds identified on last nights programme. The GSD's are saying that its breed standard but the dogs dont LOOK right to my non showing eyes and if i saw a dog like that I wouldnt buy it.

To be honest Rips, I am not a show person, dont really like it - but thats not what is driving this - If people want to show their dogs off thats fine - just make sure they are showing them for there best qualities which should have nothing to do with the perfect look as written in a book and everything to do with health and breeding.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I used to like the `events` occasionally shown on the Beeb during Crufts, but lately the presenters have spoiled it for me - I just wanted to slap them for irelevant waffling and sheer unprofessionalism. And now it`s north of Watford I`m unlikely to go. I`ll be very surprised if this programme is remembered next month, let alone next year so I don`t think it`ll make any difference at all, apart from the the KC getting a bit more savvy about PR.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
yes but they arent doing that at all- the breed clubs need to take a long hard look at themselves and INSIST on health testing and only clear tests being able to qualify / breed from and it should be for the better of the breed - but they are the ones that seem to NOT be willing to do this - I am sure there are many that do - but I am specifically referring to those breeds identified on last nights programme. The GSD's are saying that its breed standard but the dogs dont LOOK right to my non showing eyes and if i saw a dog like that I wouldnt buy it.

To be honest Rips, I am not a show person, dont really like it - but thats not what is driving this - If people want to show their dogs off thats fine - just make sure they are showing them for there best qualities which should have nothing to do with the perfect look as written in a book and everything to do with health and breeding.
Hi Dani, to be fair I think some breed clubs {as was the case last night with the CKCS club members who made those comments at the end of last nights programe have so much to answer for,
BUT some breeds/breed clubs are striving very hard to ensure the dogs produced are of good quality,
so many breeds were not featured last night,
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Hi Dani, to be fair I think some breed clubs {as was the case last night with the CKCS club members who made those comments at the end of last nights programe have so much to answer for,
BUT some breeds/breed clubs are striving very hard to ensure the dogs produced are of good quality,
so many breeds were not featured last night,
i accept that Shona and i did say that i appreciated that not all breed clubs were the same - i was just speaking about the ones featured.

HOwever it needs EVERY breed club to take the same stance of compulsory health tests and no carrier breeding to make a difference.

so even though there are loads of breeds who do the right thing by their dogs there are obviously those that dont so it has to be one rule for everyone.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:51 PM
[quote=Brundog;1463029]i accept that Shona and i did say that i appreciated that not all breed clubs were the same - i was just speaking about the ones featured.

HOwever it needs EVERY breed club to take the same stance of compulsory health tests and no carrier breeding to make a difference.

so even though there are loads of breeds who do the right thing by their dogs there are obviously those that dont so it has to be one rule for everyone.[/quote]

wouldnt that be nice
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Personally I couldn't care less whether crufts suffered or not.Used to love the idea of it all until I noticed how the dogs qualify and I feel even worse about it all when I watched last nights program.It's all went down in my estimations big time,xxxxxxxxx
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:23 PM
i accept that Shona and i did say that i appreciated that not all breed clubs were the same - i was just speaking about the ones featured.

so even though there are loads of breeds who do the right thing by their dogs there are obviously those that dont so it has to be one rule for everyone.
Dani, agreed but not about using carriers in recessive disease. One dog can be clear, the other can be clear, carrier or affected...still no risk of disease. If we attempt to breed out disease using all clear dogs we will limit the gene pool immeasurably and more disease will emerge much more quickly. The answer is health testing and very very limited line breeding or none at all.

Mary
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Dani, agreed but not about using carriers in recessive disease. One dog can be clear, the other can be clear, carrier or affected...still no risk of disease. If we attempt to breed out disease using all clear dogs we will limit the gene pool immeasurably and more disease will emerge much more quickly. The answer is health testing and very very limited line breeding or none at all.

Mary
TBH I dont know that much about recessive genes etc -
so what is the case with SM as featured on the programme, surely if the stud dog has it then if it breeds there is a good chance that it will pass this on to its puppies ? I dont agree with that especially if the breeder is denying that he even has it - so therefore doubt will be checking whether she is mating him with a clear bitch.??
anyway i suppose thats supposition because we dont know for sure her breeding practice.
I still dont think dogs with diseases should be bred from. full stop, whether it be epilepsy, heart murmurs or SM.

Otherwise whats the point in testing them if you can still breed a carrier dog?
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2008, 08:41 AM
TBH I dont know that much about recessive genes etc -
so what is the case with SM as featured on the programme, surely if the stud dog has it then if it breeds there is a good chance that it will pass this on to its puppies ? I dont agree with that especially if the breeder is denying that he even has it - so therefore doubt will be checking whether she is mating him with a clear bitch.??
anyway i suppose thats supposition because we dont know for sure her breeding practice.
I still dont think dogs with diseases should be bred from. full stop, whether it be epilepsy, heart murmurs or SM.

Otherwise whats the point in testing them if you can still breed a carrier dog?
Mornin Dani

Trouble is, if we look at all the diseases carried by dogs they are carried in different ways by different genes. I hope someone can answer about SM with more knowledge than I.
If it is dominant no dog should be bred from with the trait. Full stop.

All dogs carry bad genes, we just need to understand how each is passed on...and we are getting there slowly. However, we cannot cleanse isolated dog populations (breeds) of disease. If we try, another will emerge, and we risk an increase of auto-immune problems multiplying. Please do not read this for an excuse not to test, or breed badly. It is not, but we cannot achieve the impossible in isolated gene pools with closed stud books. The breeds are only as healthy as their foundation (stock) and the selective breeding that we do. We can only work with what we have.

M
PS Sorry very OT, responding to valid question
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 09:17 AM
it will carry on regardless the clubs will do the same

the sale of CKCS pups might go down for a while now the public have seen the truth about what goes on
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >