Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Sam so sorry to hear about Sonny
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2005, 11:34 AM
It might sound cruel or heartless, sorry, but the best thing to do is try and live as normal a live for you and your dog, because if the vet hadn't found the problem you would probably never had know, it sounds as though it is only in the early stages, you should have many years of happiness to come yet.

Good luck - keep you chin up.

Ian
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 11:54 AM
I've got to admit I would rather have 2 months of 'normal' happy active life with a young dog than 10 years of no exercise etc! I would have to let him have fun and whatever happened so be it...at least I could say he died happy.
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Sam, im sorry to hear about Sonny. I know how hard it is to be told your dog has a heart problem. I know of a dog who was told he wouldnt live to 6mth due to a large hole in the heart, his owner/breeder lets him live life to the full, hes the fitest dog she has, and hes now 7 still with the hole.

One of my dogs has had MVD since being 2yr old. He went onto medication 14mth ago hes on frusemide which gets rid of water) Lanoxin PG (helps heart beat regualrly as he was having little attacks where his heart would beat to fast, it still does it so we dont know if its helping or if its somthing hes always had) and Vetmedin. Hes now 8yr old under a Cardiologist. He has checks every 3mth (hes on a heart trial) During the winter or when its hot he doesnt go for walks, thats his choice. Other than that he goes out for walks or a run on the feild as and when he wants to. Hes a Cavalier and is more than happy to do 1mile a day.

My point to telling you this is we dont know how long we have with Barney, he doesnt show any signes of MVD well he might cough once every few weeks. He still goes to shows with the other dogs but only to watch now. He lives life to the full. You will know when its time for medication. Maybe dont let Sonny run for miles at a time, dont limit him to a dog that does nothing all day. If he wants to go for a walk or a little run in the park then let him.

Hope everything goes ok for you and Sonny. As long as Sonny is happy then what more could you want??
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

25-01-2005, 02:55 PM
b did what see wanted when she wanted just like any other dog it was up to her, you will know when its time for support sonny will tell you.
untill then just treat him like you would any way with lots of tlc.
Rupert's Mum
New Member!

18-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Sam, so sorry to hear about Sonny's heart.

I was devestated when my 5 year old Cavalier was diagnosed with a grade 2 murmur at age 5 - Cavaliers, like Boxers, are very prone to heart conditions.

Peaches has been on various homoeopathic remedies, she also has a magnotherapy collar. I keep her slightly underweight on Burns dry organic food, which is also very low in sodium. We moderate her exercise, she still has free running, but not for extended periods.

We also avoid exercising her in the heat - so early mornings or evenings in the summer; also avoid stressful situations if possible.

I was advised to keep to a low sodium diet - be especially careful with treats, many are high in sodium and salt.

She also takes natural Vitamin E 200 iu daily.

Many Cavaliers still live to a good age even with a murmur, the medication available is very good.

I too am a believer in quality of life rather than quantity - I think you just have to be sensible. I'm sure Sonny wouldn't be happy not having any walks.

Other natural rememdies include Co-enzyme Q10, although this is more effective on muscle tissue than valves.

Try to find a homoeopathic/holistic vet who can prescribe appropriate remedies.

Hoping that Sonny will keep well for many years.

Best wishes,

Nicki
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3