View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone I suppose part of me is posting here so that I can hear lots of happy endings that I can convince myself of. I must admit I am broken hearted but he is still here and as long as I have him he will be the most spoiled dog in the world.

XX
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2005, 08:34 PM
sam believe me it is hard but its not as bad as your vet has lead you to believe they do tell you all the info but most dogs are not the worst case that they have told you about.we found out about b heart at 3 years old she went on to 6 before needing help.
we just had regular scans etc done to keep a updated picture of it all and watched her weight as it is a big indicator as to how the heart is coping with every day thing.
make the most of the time and enjoy him as much as possible but you will not lose him overnight.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Sam, I am sorry to hear that Sonny's problem has worsened. I know of nothing that will help other than restricted exercise and conventional medication. I do feel, as you do, that quality if life is more important than quantity. My girl was diagnised with a murmur which, fortunately, turned out to be no more than a puppy murmur, but I decided that I would not wrap her in cotton wool and that if she died doing what she enjoyed, i.e. rushing about like a mad thing, then so be it. It is a hard call and one that only you can make. You may find that he will self-restrict exercise.

I wish you well and hope that you have a lot more good years together.
SB
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Sam so sorry to hear about Sonny. I havent got any good advice, sorry.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 09:54 PM
sam i am so sorry to hear about Sonny i have no advice but do as your heart tells you

xx
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Oh I am sorry.
No advice - I've never been in the situation - but I would tend to feel that dogs enjoy life as dogs, not invalids.
Carole
Supervisor

24-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Sam sorry to hear the news about Sonnys murmur Was this the results of the cardiologists tests?

If you need a chat just pm me or send me an email.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 11:24 PM
i am very sorry to hear about sonny xx
Meg
Supervisor

25-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi Sam wondered where you were So sorry to hear Sonnys murmur is not improving . Amy's is still at the same stage thank goodness and at a grade 3 ,though hers is age related (nearly 14) so the cause is slightly different to Sonny's. The vet says it may suddenly get a lot worse but with her Burns diet, no salty things and gentle excercise she is ok at the moment and still not on meds, I think keeping the weight down has helped a lot. I made the decision some time ago with the vet that I would not restrict her gentle excercise even if things get bad, as SB says quality is important...she loves pottering in the fields and hard as it is I would prefer her to 'go' doing what she loves best. I really feel for you Sam knowing Amy may soon be in the same situation as Sonny is now. Nothing I can say will make the situation any better for you Sam, I wish it could , Mini xx

Ps it is lovely to hear from you again
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all your kind words. I just can't pull myself out of this hole. I phoned the cardiologist today who may I add has been fantastic. He had had a look at sonnys pedigree before and I had forgot to ask yesterday if it uncovered anything. He said there doesn't look to be a trait in his pedigree but to let the breeder know anyway. He reassured me again that this time yesterday we didn't know any better and the fact there are no clynical signs meant that sonny was just a normal boxer doing normal boxer things. I just keep getting really upset I want us to spend many years together going to the park and having lots of fun. I know I shouldn't but I just keep thinking of the worst. I asked what percentage of dogs with sonnys type of murmer lead normal lives. He said that he only seen the worst cases but he imagined that there are a large number that haven't been picked up by a vet and no one knows any better.

I am sorry for blabbing on I just don't know what to do. I just want to see my boy grow a grey beard xx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >