Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bluesandtwos View Post
well trying for my first cc in december, three of mine entered in LKA, fingers crossed
Good luck I also show my borzois.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I just read back this thread and I hope we haven't confused the OP more than she was already lol: I remember it took me ages figuring out all this show lingo before I started showing

You and me both,and what classes should be entered and what happens if you win your class etc
I think i'm ok now though,have to laugh though some people i know have turned up at the right shows with the wrong dogs and vice versa
Bluesandtwos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Obviously entered in siberian husky classes, will-be 10 month old in Puppy and the 6 month olds in minor puppy (6-9 months class). If win or placed in class (depending on other reslults), then go forward for best puppy in bred (BPIB), win that then forward to Best of breed, which is where you can get a cc. TBH, never hung aound at a show long enough to go forward to best in show and all that cos usually knackered by then, best of breed will do me fine. the placings sometimes fox me. was placed third in class recently at a show (open class) but then took Reserve BPIB as not beaten in class by another puppy. It can all get very confusing.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:42 PM
we are taking our boy demon, whos 9 months now and the two baby girls Nuka and Nova who will be just over 6 months. the little ones have champs in the last four generations of their pedigree, so trying to make it 5
oooooh I liked Demon, he is very hansom
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
well trying for my first cc in december, three of mine entered in LKA, fingers crossed

We all do that every time we walk into the ring though don't we, and I wish it was easy to win CCs, but it's not. Far from it actually. The UK is possibly the most difficult country in the world to make up a Champion and most of us don't expect to win a CC....ever.

You also say that you have ''never hung around a show long enough to go forward to Best in Show''. That's actually considered bad etiquette. If you have won Best of Breed, even at Open Show level, you should be honoured to represent your breed in the group, and if you have a good reason for not being able to stay, you should really make your apologies to the show secretary for your absence.

Good luck at LKA.

Dawn R.
Bluesandtwos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
You also say that you have ''never hung around a show long enough to go forward to Best in Show''. That's actually considered bad etiquette. If you have won Best of Breed, even at Open Show level, you should be honoured to represent your breed in the group, and if you have a good reason for not being able to stay, you should really make your apologies to the show secretary for your absence.

Good luck at LKA.

Dawn R.
Oh, dont misunderstand me, I dont just vanish, I do withdraw from that class. I find having been on the road possibly from 5-6 am to attend a show, all the unavoidable hanging around etc and the prospect of the long drive home in a less than luxurious transit van is hard on both us and the dogs. during the summer months, heatstroke is also a very real risk to huskies so commonsense has to prevail. Also very concsious of the ones who have been left at home while their fellow pack members are at a show so really cant justify adding extra hours onto the day for a chance at best in show. If someone is at home with the rest, then I would stay.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure I see the point of travelling for hours to a show, winning Best of Breed, then giving up an opportunity to go in the group. It seems like alot of initial effort only to give up half way.

You give the impression that LKA is your first Championship show, so I'm assuming you travel long distances to Open Shows. I don't travel more than an hour to an Open Show, but I'm lucky, there are lots in that radius.

Dawn R.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 10:58 PM
If you ever show under Irish KC rules - you get fined the equivalent of £100 at Champ shows if you don't go into the Group, unless your dog is ill....... or you can convince the secretary that you have an equally valid reason....

Good luck at LKA but don't be disappointed if you don't get near a CC. Some of us have been showing for 10 years and more and never been in that position and yes, we have "Ch" all over our dogs' pedigrees too. I was always told that you served a 10 year "apprenticeship" before you really did anything and although a few have been lucky, most have usually been around for a while before we get anywhere. So - be patient and stick at it
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I often travel well within reason max 4hrs ( i should say i live in a very rural area and we never count thr 1st 2hrs) and get bpib only to leave before the groups,its a hell of a long day for a pup to be judged at 10am then have to wait till 5-6pm for the groups (lets not forget they arent allowed to leave the ground) then add the 4hr trip home!

Some people seem to think showing is all that and family life doesnt come into it!! sorry but i prioritise accordingly and for the best interest of my dogs.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
I often travel well within reason max 4hrs ( i should say i live in a very rural area and we never count thr 1st 2hrs) and get bpib only to leave before the groups,its a hell of a long day for a pup to be judged at 10am then have to wait till 5-6pm for the groups (lets not forget they arent allowed to leave the ground) then add the 4hr trip home!
Ah but not that many Champ shows have puppy groups though do they? and Open shows don't last for 8 or 9 hours any more, those days are long gone. Open shows round here are done and dusted by 2 or 3 o'clock at the very latest.

It still remains poor etiquette to win, then disappear, imagine what it would be like if everybody did the same. There would be no show.

If going to a show is too much for a puppy, then it's probably best for the puppy not to travel 4 hours to get there and another 4 to get home again.

Dawn R.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >