Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
ahhh but first we should have a debate about whether we should have a debate.....
OH NO that is called a discussion, I think
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
No idea why this has been moved, it is not a discussion - people were asked why they show their dogs and were explaining why. Discussion, I think not.

One point though - people who show are the same as people who do anything - just people - some ignorant - some rude - some silly - but most just nice doggy people who love their breed and would do anything to help improve the breeds welfare and health.
Totally agree

After yesterday I sometimes would how much some judges know about the breeds they judge but that's a different debate :smt002

I show my dogs that enjoy being in the ring & don't show them if they don't enjoy it-in my breed they have to be willing to stand on a table & have a stranger examine them very closely :smt002 & then of course they have to free stand & wag for England-part & parcel of the Cavalier is the gently wagging tail & happy expression
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-09-2006, 01:18 PM
From experience - it's only a matter of time before someone turns the thread into a debate.

Anyway, the off-topic posts have been moved to a new thread: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=43762

Please remember this thread is only for those who want to post about why they show - please read the first post if in doubt. I am now also moving it back to the show section.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I show because i like to as much as anyone likes showjumping (dog showing is cheaper tho) i've got one that wasn't impressed with showing and it showed in the ring so we took her out and now shes a fat contented lady, the younger one absolutely loves showing, as soon as i get my bags ready shes bouncing around!! and it certainly shows in the ring too.

Theres also the dinner dances/ bbq's ect that our breed clubs host once a year its not all about dog showing and i've met some very close friends through our hobby.
Where else can you go with your dogs and talk for england about your breed without risk of sending someone to sleep
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

22-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Whooooo, that was a long read through all the posts, now I'll try an answer.

I didn't buy a dog to show, but when I sent the breeder a photo of the dog when he was 15 months old she was on the phone immediately she got it - You must show him, we can qualify him for Crufts - so that is how it started.

Why did I go on, well I decided it would be nice to do something other than look after house and family all the time. The dog was already attending (and doing well) at obedience classes so why not branch out. He did well, was a fantastic showman, if we were stood at the front of the line-up for placing and he got his red card he'd jump up and lick my face - Haven't I done well?' all over his face. Inevitably he was followed by another and another and so it went on.

Do the dogs enjoy it - Well as soon as they saw the 'Showbag' they got excited and would be waiting at the door to go. Did I enjoy it, if course I did, I loved meeting all my friends, dogs have always been a big part of my life and seeing so many different breeds, talking to their owners, disagreeing with the Judge's placings !! and finally reaching home with the occasional Challenge Certificate , but more often than not nothing but an overstretched bank balance for my day out I enjoyed every minute of it. I only wish I was still young and fit enough to do it all over again - Does that answer your question OK? Kath

P.S, I did keep to short-coated breeds which meant I had no problems with them living a 'normal' mucky dog life, I don't think I would ever have wanted a highly trimmed breed.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5