View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:14 PM
I really enjoy the oohs and aahs and people admiring my dog when out. I've never wanted to own a dog that almost everyone you approach looks wary of. Dogs that have scary faces! But neither would I want to own a dog that slobbers and drools or that has a miserable 'hangdog' face! Or a bald dog or a very wrinkled dog!

I'd get tired of the whole 'debate' thing anyway - not all of them are vicious etc. - it's the owners not the dogs There is no doubt that some of them are vicious and no doubt that when they are they can inflict more permanent damage than a lot of other 'types' of dogs.

I think there is a reason why so many undesirables have been attracted to the type - and that the reason is their appearance.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I most definitely wouldn't take the risk. I feel sick at the thought of how short a time we have with our dogs anyway so to risk getting a dog in danger of being seized is a no-brainer for me.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it would put me off. I won't get a breed I may have to rehome because of my hubby being posted and I won't purposely get a dog that could be seized as being of type.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:32 PM
When I first got Cassie my American bull dog cross staffie at 6 months I got lots of comments about the way she looked.i personally don't think she looks the type and neither does my local dog warden who carried out her good citizen at the local rspca.but to answer your question no the way cas looks def did not put me off owning her
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-07-2012, 06:35 PM
The breeds 'of type' aren't the kind of dogs that I'd be interested in but if they were - it would certainly be a concern not least because of how other people react and that the goal posts might change.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-07-2012, 06:45 PM
answer is no as i have no great interest in type dogs, they do nothing for me and yes i have met some stunning ones.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 07:10 PM
The kind of breeds and their crosses at risk of getting seized are the kind of dogs that hold no interest for me so there would be little possibility of me owning one anyway.

However, yes I would be put off owning a dog of 'type'.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm afraid it would put me off. The thought of potentially having my dog taken off me just like that, for no reason makes me feel ill. Seeing what happened to that sweet lab cross on the One Show the other day really highlighted for me how ridiculous the current law is.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I've just watched a repeat of 'Send in the Dogs' and they seized a 'pitbull type' dog being walked by a chap in a park.
The thought of having that happen just doesnt bear thinking about.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day and yes just recently it did pass my mind that it may put me off now because I couldn't cope if this stupid law wrongly took my dog.

But then on the other hand, it is a type I have always considered owning, as there are so many in rescue and they make great family pets. This ridiculous scare mongering or however you want to look at it, kind of makes me want to take one in even more!

I also genuinely worry that Akitas are going to be 'next' as they are always portrayed negatively in the press.

I don't care one bit what the regular person on the street thinks of me owning a 'type' though!

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Dogs that have scary faces!

'Scary' faces are different in everyone's books, there are certain small breeds that I think are absolutely horrifying to look at that others may call cute!!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >