Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 04:17 PM

A puppy some advice needed ?

Many of you will know I have Tom a 3yr old lurcher who can be a bit reactive at times but has improved heaps in the last year, he lives with Bella a 3 yr old retired grey and they are great buddies. My friend knows I would love a grey or lurcher pup and sent me a link where there are both available and desparately need forever homes . My grandparents were GR breeders so I grew up with lots of puppies and appreciate the work involved and also the fact so many dogs are in rescue. These pups are homeless and are in rescue. From experience would it work to have a lurcher or a grey pup with my pair ? I think they would be accepting of the situation but would not want to commit unless I was sure I would not have to return the pup. I wouldnt be likely to do in any case and would work through any issues that maybe arise but perhaps I should wait till mine are more settled , any comments advice appreciated , I will share the link later of the pups available and I am having a chat with the rescue co-ordinator this evening.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:45 PM
You know your dogs better than anyone else so how do you think it would go?
I have found that most times when you introduce another animal into a household as long as it is done with care it will normally work out.
I have always had dogs and cats that (as far as I can work out) seem to think, oh, she has bought that thing into the house so I supose it must be ok.
Good luck with the new pup
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Could you maybe foster, or "look after" a puppy for a weekend?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I think it depends on the dogs. Cherry can be reactive to strange large dogs but she is very patient and nice with pups-even one the size of a small horse she met in the vets once!

On the other hand, Parker, who is very tolerant of other dogs, is not particularly fond of puppies and will wuff at them if they get a bit silly. I think male dogs aren't so good with pups?

I think it would be a good idea to foster one to see how things go.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I agree you know your dogs better than anyone, it's a double edged sword though isn't it, will it work, will it not work, but me thinks you are 99% sure you are going to try and get a puppyas don't they have the final say. Good Luck, Gayle.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Maybe you could foster-with-a-view-to-keep? I think a puppy of those types would suit, but from what I know about Grey pups, they're mad! Do you have somewhere they can be separated if they need some peace? I think it could be fabulous, you'd be a great home...let us know how it goes!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Maybe you could foster-with-a-view-to-keep? I think a puppy of those types would suit, but from what I know about Grey pups, they're mad! Do you have somewhere they can be separated if they need some peace? I think it could be fabulous, you'd be a great home...let us know how it goes!

Maybe foster is the way to go , the house is big enough to separate and from my research they are a lot of work but a lot of fun too ! Needs some careful thought about the committment as I would want to do the best for a pup and just thinking of Tom and how much time and effort he takes but maybe it would be good for him, not a quick decision !
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
It's difficult isn't it,

I had to rehome a 7 month old pup because Meg just would not accept her at all, and on a couple of occasions actually went to bite her.She is DA but we never expected the reaction we got from her,especially towards a puppy.

Tyler my entire male was absolutely fine with Kizzy.

After my experience I would suggest fostering to start with and see how it goes before committing.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
How old are the pups? Young greyhounds can be very lively and a bit mad. No worse really than other pups just twice the size. When my show greyhound William came to us he was 28" tall and 7 months old. He really was no worse than the whippet pups we had had previously but a lot bigger so it seemed worse.

I would go the way of asking if you could foster a pup with the possibility of adopting it and maybe go for a more laid back pup than one that is a bit in your face so to speak. Would the rescue be prepared to let you take Tom to visit the pups to see how he responded to them?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Find a rescue that will let you foster a pup with a view to rehoming it.

http://www.houndlounge.co.uk

I think they may have pups for rehoming at the moment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >