View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Kia is scared of leaving the house... Advice needed!

As the title says really, over the past couple of weeks Kia has become more and more reluctant to go out...

It started after she got spooked by gunshots on one of her walks round the fields near my house. I ignored her behaviour (as you generally would with fireworks) and continued our walk as normal but she became really clingy and wouldn't go far from me even when off lead. I tried taking her on the same walk several days in a row so she could get used to it (the shooting is not always on - and I have no way of telling which farm it's coming from so can't find out about shoot days/random hunts to know when to avoid the area ) - but that didn't work. She was fine but as soon as she heard a bang she would be shaking and clingy again so I would speed up our walk home...

Decided to go back to our normal range of walks and she's been getting better. Even on the one that she got spooked on. Sometimes she can be a bit nervy but I just say "on you go" or something of that nature and she's generally back to normal. Loud bangs still spook her but today I took her to where they were coming from (a football game in the field next to our walking one) and after seeing where they were coming from she was more than willing to continue playing!

So, on to the problem. She is now scared of leaving the house. I don't know if it's related to the gunshots but I'm presuming it is as it started soon after. I have to shoo her out to pee in the garden and she is beginning to grumble at me when I put on her harness/lead to go for a walk although its not as bad if I do it once she is already in the garden.

I have started from scratch and am giving her treats while putting her walking gear on and putting it on and taking it off in the house so she doesn't think it automatically means going out and she's getting better with me. But she's totally regressed with my mum and sister who take her for walks if I'm at work. She warning growls and has snapped at my sister (not making contact - It sounds like a 'back off' rather than aggression) and it takes a lot of persuasion with treats to let either of them put a lead on her (the harness is now a no-go) and then she fights against going out, even into the garden so I've told them just to leave her walks and just leave the door open so she can go out for a wee when she needs to. I can't risk her getting more scared of them or (dread the thought) actually biting either of them! The thing is - once they get her out of the garden she's been fine. Walking nicely and everything, it's just that initial getting the lead on and getting her out of the house bit...

So, I need suggestions. Kia is a bit of a rescue and I know she trusts me fully which is why I am able to do things with her that she will not allow my mum/sis but she is going without walks when I'm out so we need to build her trust with them. I also need to get her excited about her walks again and make her associate the lead/harness with good things!

As I said, there has been lots of treats involved in what I've been doing with her but we mustn't let her get fat! But we're willing to put the work in to get her back to her old self. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about this in the best way?

Hoping this makes sense, but ask any questions you like if I need to clarify anything! Oh and just incase you were wondering, only positive training methods will be used! She is rather nervous and skittish and I do not want to set her back in the confidence she has been gaining of late!

Thanks in advance...

Sarah xoxox
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Sorry I didnt have time to read all the way through. I will try to read through tomorrow though

Since I havent read through this may not be relevant but just the title....I once was puzzled by my dogs refusal to go out - then realised he had pulled a muscle. Could it be anything like that causing this set back?

Like I said, may not be...will be back tomorrow, hope she's ok x
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Sorry I didnt have time to read all the way through. I will try to read through tomorrow though

Since I havent read through this may not be relevant but just the title....I once was puzzled by my dogs refusal to go out - then realised he had pulled a muscle. Could it be anything like that causing this set back?

Like I said, may not be...will be back tomorrow, hope she's ok x
Well she's totally fine when we get outside. Almost back to her old self and enjoying her walks but it's just getting her out the door/garden that's the problem!

Perhaps a vet visit may be an idea just incase... But she gets majorly stressed out at the vet's so whether he'd be able to pick up on anything like that I'm not sure as she totally tenses up!

Worth a thought though... Oh, and she's my usual loving pup to everyone in the family until they try to take her out!

xoxox
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Poor Kia sorry to hear your having problems, I've had a set back with Cain recently too.

Sounds like you'll have to take things slow. Someone on here, I think maybe claireanddaisy (?) suggested a technique for scared dogs. Basically quit walks for a whole week and allow time for the stress hormones to drop put of thr blood. In this tim. I suppose you could work on breaking the harness=walk association. Then start with short walks and any time she shows she's unhappy, turn around and go straight back home. You might only get up the end if thr road at first. Anyway you build it up over time. Not sure if that would be correct in this situation, hopefully the person who originally told me about it will see this and comment. At first I was horrified at thr thoughts of no walks for a week but i've seen that allowing de-stress time is vital as otherwise it'll only build on the previous bad experience. Cain is more likely to react after a bad experience if he isn't given a few quiet days to chill out.

Do you have any doggy friends in the area? Maybe a confident doggy to walk with would take her mind off of it and build her confidence?

When'd my favourite girl coming back to London? Maybe the change of scenery would work as she wouldn't associate the area with gun shoots?

Poor Kia, give her cuddles from me x

ETA: ah, maybe my first suggestion is not suitable if she is fine once walking, just problems getting out of the door. I mis read it. Have you tried just walking in and out of the door repeatedly. Walk out, treat, walk in, sit down and take a break! Maybe doing it multiple times a day without an actual walk would help? I don't know, just typing as I think lol!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi Sarah & Kia,

Just seen this, sorry I haven't got anything useful to add, just to say do you want to swap dogs? Pepper is driving me to an early grave (I'm just about to add a thread).

Miss you both,

J.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I know how easily these things can happen, I only posted up the other day in somebody else's thread about this happening to me with my previous dog and gunshots. I ended up getting her into the car and taking her somewhere very, very quiet, with the car doors open, until she eventually got out herself, sat with me, and then we had a little walk. I did this for ages, until she got excited about her walks again, and I always avoided that other place where she had heart those gunshots.

She was fine with all gunshots until one particular day, it's very odd how this happens isn't it.

Slowly but surely, use whatever method gets her interested instead of frightened again, and good luck.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 01:35 PM
What is her most favourite thing? If it is food, then using treats is probably the best way, but as a collie x there is a good chance that she might be more play/work orientated and perhaps a favourite toy would work?

Stumpy is a very nervous dog. At the start of last summer she wouldn't walk down our road in the afternoons if we turned left (she'd be fine if we turned right or if it was an early morning walk). I worked out it was the sound of the golfers on the golf course - they were never around for our early morning walks and she had realised this.

Anyway, Stumpy's most favourite thing is playing with the jets from a water pistol. As soon as I get it out, her eyes light up and she gets really excited. She was happy walking down the road with me holding it and after a few times with the water pistol, she was happy without it. When they are actually playing, she still doesn't like the sound and tries to speed up to get past, but at least she doesn't just refuse to go.

Hopefully you can find something that Kia is equally excited about and use this to help overcome her fears.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys. Some good ideas there... Everything I do with her has to be slowly but surely as she can be so nervous and totally lacks confidence (but she's getting better ) so I guess I'll just keep working on making her associate her harness with good things again rather than scary!

Amanda, not sure a week without walks would be a good idea... My house would be destroyed with all the excess collie energy! Can you imagine... Would have to be a last resort I think!

Oh, and H, funnily enough I have taken her with my mum in the car to the beach a few times (she can go from garden to car without a lead on) and she loved it! She loves going in the car as good things are at the end of it and when I take her for her walks if the car is there she stops next to it and I have to tempt her away from it! But I'm not insured so unless my mum is home and willing to drive she's stuck with the local 'scary' walks

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Anyway, Stumpy's most favourite thing is playing with the jets from a water pistol. As soon as I get it out, her eyes light up and she gets really excited.
Now that's something I hadn't thought of... She loves playing with water! The hose/sea/river/puddles/anything wet! I've been taking her down the river more often these past few days as she is totally in her element chasing stones in the water and ignores any bangs we hear is she's in the wet stuff! I may have to invest in a water pistol and see if I can tempt her outside....

Thanks! xoxox
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Hi Sarah & Kia,

Just seen this, sorry I haven't got anything useful to add, just to say do you want to swap dogs? Pepper is driving me to an early grave (I'm just about to add a thread).

Miss you both,

J.
Oh dear... Madam Pepper not behaving eh? How is Enzo getting on? Need an update on him too I think!

Miss you guys too... I am yet to find a regular walking companion up here! Hopefully my pal Rachel (just got a 12 week old husky pup) will start coming with me... But not sure she'll be up for the muddy walks that I like!

Will be down to visit soon as I can! Can't wait till I can afford to move back!

xoxox
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
Thanks guys. Some good ideas there... Everything I do with her has to be slowly but surely as she can be so nervous and totally lacks confidence (but she's getting better ) so I guess I'll just keep working on making her associate her harness with good things again rather than scary!

Amanda, not sure a week without walks would be a good idea... My house would be destroyed with all the excess collie energy! Can you imagine... Would have to be a last resort I think!

Oh, and H, funnily enough I have taken her with my mum in the car to the beach a few times (she can go from garden to car without a lead on) and she loved it! She loves going in the car as good things are at the end of it and when I take her for her walks if the car is there she stops next to it and I have to tempt her away from it! But I'm not insured so unless my mum is home and willing to drive she's stuck with the local 'scary' walks

Now that's something I hadn't thought of... She loves playing with water! The hose/sea/river/puddles/anything wet! I've been taking her down the river more often these past few days as she is totally in her element chasing stones in the water and ignores any bangs we hear is she's in the wet stuff! I may have to invest in a water pistol and see if I can tempt her outside....

Thanks! xoxox
Gosh she sounds like Stumpy! Stumpy feels safe in the river too

You get some strange looks walking along with a water gun (particularly in the middle of winter!) and I'm very quick to tell everyone that its for fun not for punishment .

I have a bazooker type one that pumps the water about 20 ft rather than a normal hand-sized water pistol. I even bought one with a back-pack for the water supply (but the power wasn't as good). These days if we're not going to play by the river where I can fill up easily, I take a rucksack with 2 big water bottles and refill the gun as and when we are out.

I do hope Kia loves it as much as Stumpy does - it has been a major tool in getting her over some of her fears.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >