Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Telling time....

Do your dogs know what time it is.....or what day it is???

Or even what day is coming up?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-09-2010, 09:49 PM
The one time Rocky definitely knows is... food time!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
The one time Rocky definitely knows is... food time!
Is it just a daily thing - or are there weekly regular actions that he reacts to?
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2010, 09:54 PM
lola knows when to get up and feeding times the odd ocasion shel get up and look at me if were running late for a walk lol
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
The gundogs know when I'm due down the kennels to walk and feed them, I can hear Gracie & Misty bark from the house.

They seem to know that the shooting season has began, and that we've got a shoot day that they'll be out on. They are much noisier on a shoot day morning. They are much more energetic this time of year, then come February, they'll turn lazy again, because shootings finished. How they know it, I'll never know!

Midge comes and sits in front of me, at about half 4ish, for his tea, then comes and sits in front of me at 5, for his walk down the road, everyday, if I'm busy, he'll nudge me, then stare at me!
gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2010, 11:16 PM
kai knows exactly what times she goes out she comes up to me at the same times and nudges you as if to say 'erm mum its time' she will then go to her drawer where her lead and poo bags and all her other doggy things and sit by it. then she sits at the door she is such a clever cookie
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I started the same thread a while back and I reckon the answer is yes.

I used to think it was simply a case of dogs being able to tell the time because they recognized routines around them but Skye knows when it's six o'clock (dinner time) with an uncanny acuracy regardless of where we are or what we're doing.

My first Springer called Beau which I had when I still lived with my parents would (according to my mum) go and lie by the gate about 1/2 an hour before I came home every day.

Time is just numbers invented by people but most animals have a 'body clock'.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2010, 06:35 AM
My guys never push me for food or walking - simply because it never happens at the same time. I try very hard not to do the routine thing, because, with my job, I am never able to stick to one.

However - recently, Sunday has become herding day for Siren, every day we leave at 8...and at 9am she has a whole hour of chas...herding sheep. ...... She loves it more than anything else she has done, and last night, she was like a kid on Christmas eve! She would not settle, despite the fact they'd had a later walk (I had been working) and been playing in the garden and had some training, (this would normally settle her). She removed all the toys, bugged Zeff till he played (he was tired!) and when she could get no more from him, moved on to me.....She eventually settled around 11 - but only to the extent of lying down and watching me.....no sleep!

Heigh ho....I guess my wanting to steer clear of a routine is ruined now!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Yes! Razzle knows when it`s time to be fed. He especially likes his supper at 10pm. Not sure what we`ll do when the clocks go back!
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Ben starts barking at 5pm every day. I assume it's for his food as he gets feed between 5.30 & 6. Maybe he's just hoping that if he barks he can eat earlier!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >