Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
do you think its an allergy? or something serious? i havent put anything on it, just given him antihitamines the vet gave him before. he is itching it less, so i think that must be them working.

im going to call my vet first thing, and if i cant get an appointment with them i will try my old vets...
Hi Lauren, no I don't think it is an allergy. I have seen something like this before and I think it is an infection which affects around the eyes/ears/muzzle causing hair loss, weeping sores and makes the dog feel a bit unwell. It isn't particularly itchy. It is pointless to speculate or to say what I think it is, I am not a vet and doing so won't help Jake.

I think it can actually be dangerous to speculate because it may lead people to delay in seeking veterinary help .
Jake needs to see a vet ASAP if only to rule out any infection or to be prescribed the appropriate medication.

Try not to worry I am sure he will be fine but I would not delay visiting the vet xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lauren, no I don't think it is an allergy. I have seen something like this before and I think it is an infection which affects around the eyes/ears/muzzle causing hair loss, weeping sores and makes the dog feel a bit unwell. It isn't particularly itchy. It is pointless to speculate or to say what I think it is, I am not a vet and doing so won't help Jake.

I think it can actually be dangerous to speculate because it may lead people to delay in seeking veterinary help .
Jake needs to see a vet ASAP if only to rule out any infection or to be prescribed the appropriate medication.

Try not to worry I am sure he will be fine but I would not delay visiting the vet xx
thanks, will definitely take him to the vet asap
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
If it's mange, he will be treated with dermodex it's a bath wash (Roughly £15 a bottle) it stinks like pain stripper, then after a few baths you'll notice the hair growing back, only then can you use Advocate.....My dog is now on Advocate for the next 18 months as his mange keeps reappearing every few months. Advocate alone won't keep the mites at bay, he needs these special baths first x
Not in our Experince all we needed was the advocate to clear it up, But tbf it wasnt as severe as Jakes.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Obvisley there is a big difference between Mange & Demodex mange,

Demodex can come & go by itself as the Hair mites that cause the demodex mange symtoms live on the dog naturally & its just the dogs natural ability to control them that cause the problem.
But most dogs with symtoms have a lowered immune system, once system is boosted it will clear up.
Advocate is good cos not only does it kill the Demodex mite, but it is also a wormer & defleaer, so you dont need to use these treatments at the same time.

Obvisley cos jake is part collie caution must be taken just incase he digestes some, (because collies can be really dangerously sensitive if digested some types of meds-this included)

One of our gronnie Bitches had it as a young dog (About 8 months) We cleared the first lot up with advocate & boosted her immune system through diet, the second lot we just left, THOUGH IT WAS NEVER AS SORE AS JAKES ,& it cleared up on its own.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Not in our Experince all we needed was the advocate to clear it up, But tbf it wasnt as severe as Jakes.
I don't know then....When I took Diesel back to the vets this time, I asked him if I could get away with bathing him in that horrid stuff, he said No, he told me the Advocate won't work without the other stuff x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I don't know then....When I took Diesel back to the vets this time, I asked him if I could get away with bathing him in that horrid stuff, he said No, he told me the Advocate won't work without the other stuff x
Lol, how much is the bathing stuff.? It Defintally worked for us!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lou
My vet told me different, he said using advocate replaces the need to bath in the toxic medication
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Advocate & Collies

From the Noah site

This product contains moxidectin (a macrocyclic lactone), special care should be taken with Collies, Old English Sheepdogs and related breeds or crossbreeds, to correctly administer the product as described above. In particular, oral uptake by the recipient and/or other animals should be prevented
TBH I would not use on any dog with a trace of herding breeds behind it without the dog having been DNA tested for MDR-1 & not having the mutation
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Lol, how much is the bathing stuff.? It Defintally worked for us!
£15 (Only does one bath) a bottle.......I've had to buy quite a few bottles over time x
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
My vet told me different, he said using advocate replaces the need to bath in the toxic medication
Sounds like this vet is ripping me off I've still got two months supply of Advocate left, so I'll just continue with that and see how he goes Diesel hates being bathed in that toxic stuff anyway, and that's what I explained to the vet, but he was adamant.

Thanks x
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >