Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Probaley with Advocate, You have to be careful he dosent lick the area of the advocate cos hes part collie.

It will show up first where the hair is thinnist
If it's mange, he will be treated with dermodex it's a bath wash (Roughly £15 a bottle) it stinks like pain stripper, then after a few baths you'll notice the hair growing back, only then can you use Advocate.....My dog is now on Advocate for the next 18 months as his mange keeps reappearing every few months. Advocate alone won't keep the mites at bay, he needs these special baths first x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Probaley with Advocate, You have to be careful he dosent lick the area of the advocate cos hes part collie.

It will show up first where the hair is thinnist
thanks, i will be calling the vet first thing in the morning.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
If it's mange, he will be treated with dermodex it's a bath wash (Roughly £15 a bottle) it stinks like pain stripper, then after a few baths you'll notice the hair growing back, only then can you use Advocate.....My dog is now on Advocate for the next 18 months as his mange keeps reappearing every few months. Advocate alone won't keep the mites at bay, he needs these special baths first x
thanks, will the bath help his face even if the bath wash doesnt touch it? dont want to put it on his eyes or in his ears... and what is advocate? sorry for all the questions

im worried jakes will keep reappearing... this is the 2nd time its appeared... if thats what it is anyway but im really thinking it is.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2010, 11:08 PM
thanks, will the bath help his face even if the bath wash doesnt touch it? dont want to put it on his eyes or in his ears... and what is advocate? sorry for all the questions
Hi Lauren I don't think it's mange and have an idea what it is but won't speculate. I would not put anything on it unless told to do so by the vet . Try to get to the vet tommorow.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I have to use a sponge round his ears and eyes.....Advocate is like frontline, you open the pipelet and put it at the back of his neck

I've had to treat my dog around 4 times now for this dreaded mange. I took him to the vets a month ago, I had to buy 2 bottles of the bath stuff and a 3 month supply of Advocate, and it cost me £50 odd pound......I don't mind though as long as it makes him better x
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
this is the 2nd time its appeared... if thats what it is anyway but im really thinking it is.
If it went away by itself the first time then it's not mange......If they get mange, they need treatment otherwise it only gets worse x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lauren I don't think it's mange and have a n ide what it is but won't speculate. would not put anything on it. Try to get to the vet tommorow.
do you think its an allergy? or something serious? i havent put anything on it, just given him antihitamines the vet gave him before. he is itching it less, so i think that must be them working.

im going to call my vet first thing, and if i cant get an appointment with them i will try my old vets...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
If it went away by itself the first time then it's not mange......If they get mange, they need treatment otherwise it only gets worse x
last time he just got antihistamines and ear drops from the vet, the hair never grew back but the redness went...
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
last time he just got antihistamines and ear drops from the vet, the hair never grew back but the redness went...
Ah, I see......Good Luck at the vets tomorrow Hopefully the vet will give him something to make him better x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Ah, I see......Good Luck at the vets tomorrow Hopefully the vet will give him something to make him better x
thanks, me too... im just worried about allergies coz my friends dog has allergies to just about everything and is on steroids for life so she has put loads of weight on and they will shorten her life... its got me paranoid coz i dont want that for jake...
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >