register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which CM methods do you use on your dog?
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise? 26 68.42%
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs? 7 18.42%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention? 1 2.63%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction? 0 0%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention 1 2.63%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction 1 2.63%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention 0 0%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction 0 0%
Do you use prong collars 0 0%
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar 0 0%
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear 0 0%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor 1 2.63%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression 1 2.63%
Do you alpha roll your dog? 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 22 of 27 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes I'd definitely dispute that.
If they do, they are no way positive trainers, at all.

Wys
x
Nonsense.
That's the corner stone of positive punishment.
The problem with saying positive or negative is that it is not precise. It needs to be paired with reward and punishment.
  • positive reward is giving a reward ie a treat
  • positive punishment is giving a punishment ie stringing a dog up so it can't breathe
  • negative reward is removing a punishment ie stopping stringing a dog up when it relaxes
  • negative punishment is removing a reward ie removing attention

Trainers tend to use either positive reward and negative punishment or positive punishment and negative reward. You can just use positive reward - however it's less effective than using a combination.
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Sorry Scarter but I think you are being rude to Wys who was asking a valid question

The way you post makes it sound like you are saying positive training didnt work for you
But then when questioned it seems the methods you are using now that are working are what most of us would consider to be positive training

I think terms are muddled up here so I will clarify what I - and I think many positive trainers mean by positive and negative

Reward - something that makes the behaviour more likely to happen
Punishment - something that makes the behaviour less likely to happen (not just hitting or pinning or agression - could just be if dog jumps up he stops getting attention)

Positive - something added
Negative - something taken away

Positive reward - dog does something something good happens - makes the dog more likley to do it again
Negative reward - dog does something and bad things stop happening - ear pinch lessens, choke chain releases

Positive punishment - Dog does something and something bad happens to it, dog chews book, you shout at dog
Negative punishment - Dog does something and good things go away - as above where dog bounces up and stops getting fuss

Positive training tends to be a balance of positive reward and negative punishment

Lots of what you see on CM is Negative reward and positive punishment - if the tssstt, foot tap, hand bite or whatever make a dog less likely to do what it was doing then it is considered punishment
Example is shadow, he barks at another dog and CM applies positive punishment by foot tapping, shadow starts lunging and struggling, CM uses negative reward - only slackening the lead when Shadow stops lunging

Note - if something you are using as punishment +ve or -ve isnt causing the behaviour to become less then it is not effective punishment it is nagging or abuse and you should stop and think the problem better
Doh!
It would seem that great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ?)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Hali
I was thinking about the BNP thing here too
Only problem was there was a thread on here a while back where people WERE actually SUPPORTing the BNP just the way you said it
Looking at the little picture and how reasonable some of the policies can sound - without looking at the actual bigger picture and seeing how out of order their main founding belief is

I would never recomend anyone use CM's method - because if you find being calm and exercising your dog works then one day you get a difficult dog what is to stop you using alpha rolls and 'illusion' collars - I mean his other method works and so this one must too

I have never met a trainer who didnt recomend you being calm - our agility trainer is always going on about the tone of your voice and your body position
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Fi View Post
Nonsense.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean, but you have just said that positive trainers do hang dogs.
No, positive trainers do NOT use hanging etc.
If you think they do, then you are wrong.
Or am I misunderstanding you?

The problem with saying positive or negative is that it is not precise. It needs to be paired with reward and punishment.
Yes, this is one of the problems with talking dog training .I understand OC, very well in fact (just done a degree exam question on it) however on here we vary from talking in a general public kind of way and a trainer/behaviourists way.

Wys
x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Hali
I was thinking about the BNP thing here too
Only problem was there was a thread on here a while back where people WERE actually SUPPORTing the BNP just the way you said it
Looking at the little picture and how reasonable some of the policies can sound - without looking at the actual bigger picture and seeing how out of order their main founding belief is

I would never recomend anyone use CM's method - because if you find being calm and exercising your dog works then one day you get a difficult dog what is to stop you using alpha rolls and 'illusion' collars - I mean his other method works and so this one must too

I have never met a trainer who didnt recomend you being calm - our agility trainer is always going on about the tone of your voice and your body position
I never saw that thread

(just realised my fingers/brain were having a dizzy time as I put BMP )

I started thinking about it trying to clarify my own views on CM....there is much that I've seen (particularly in the more recent programmes) which I don't object to at all and for that reason I've been sat on the fence for quite a long time. But I entirely agree about the bigger picture and also the natural progression -'that worked, so why don't I try the other things too'.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Out of interest, can anyone enlighten me as to what rubbing a person's bumps means?

I am wondering if it refers to the brain, but it's a wild guess

Apparently I am not due the courtesy of an explanation. No problem, but I am wondering what it is as my first thought was, I have to say, rubbing the mammary area! which I am sure it is not!

Wys
x
It means someone needs their head examined.

I admire your patience.........I am of the 'lifes too short' camp
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Not at all. I haven't asked wys to put herself out to answer any questions for me. There's nothing I want from her. It's the other way around
She only wanted answers, you were too rude to reply.

I can only presume by your lack of response to the question that you are ingnorant, and don't know the difference between positive and negative punishment. Your loss.

*shrug*

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have just read the pack dogs histories on CM's website.

Only 3 or 4 of them are/were aggressive dogs. Most were young dogs or pups when he took them on.

He doesn't do a lot for the pitbull image by marvelling at a group of three living happily together either!

It isn't difficult to introduce a screwed up dog into a stable group.

I find myself having less admiration for him than I did before.

rune
Also, I heard they live on compound and away from him, he doesnt even have a house there. So he doesn't live with this group of 40 or so dogs they live by themselves....
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
It means someone needs their head examined.
Ah, thanks! I wondered if it was to forever remain a mystery! I am sure Scarter meant that in a funny way and not a nasty way, at least that is how I am taking it

I admire your patience.........I am of the 'lifes too short' camp

Wys
x
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean, but you have just said that positive trainers do hang dogs.
No, positive trainers do NOT use hanging etc.
If you think they do, then you are wrong.
Or am I misunderstanding you?
Yes, but that was more or less my point.
I'm just saying that the positive and negative points are used as shorthand for the type of training. However as terms they aren't exactly correct.

positive trainers CAN actually use hanging etc. they are using positive punishment.

However positive reward trainers do not use this form of training for whatever reason.

I was just trying to point out that the terms used can very quickly get murky if you just use generic language.

I use punishment in my training. Do I hit my dog? Certainly not. However if he isn't doing what I want then I will ignore him, give him some chill out time or with hold the toy that he is being a pest over. Many people would not say that this is punishment. However in the strictest meaning of the terms it is. It is negative punishment.

The problem seems to be that a number of people do not have the same definitions of the words punishment and positive. It's a common problem. Which is why in canine psychology they came up with the terms above.
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Which was why I asked scarter to clarify what they meant!

Negative punishment isn't such a bad thing to use, unlike positive.

Fi - Do you know many/any positive trainers who WOULD positive punishment, because I would have thought that goes against what they call themselves?
Closed Thread
Page 22 of 27 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »