View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jaynee
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:34 AM

hello im new (question about antihistamine dosage )

just wanted to say hello to all and i have enjoyed reading all the posts ,I only have one boy an am.cocker
Now i need advice i know from reading the posts that i can use piriton on my boy but doed any one know what dosage per body weight to give he was stung/bitten last week and we had an emergency trip to the vet for antihistamines , if i can give him something my self then in an emergency they would start working immediatly
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi Jaynee welcome to Dogsey.
Sorry I can't help with your query. I personally would never give human medication to a dog unless advised to do so by a vet (except in extreme circumstance ). 'Human' medications frequently have a different coating and absorbsion rate to those used on animals and should be given with care.
Another thing to consider is if your dog is insured and you give it any unprescribed medication and it has an adverse effect, it may affect your insurance.

I have an antihistamine called Atarax from the vets which I keep in the house for emergences.

That said someone else here may be able to advise you on dosage of Piriton, or better still ring the vet.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I would ring the vet and they will be able to calculate the correct dosage for your dog's weight and the frequency this can be given
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I think its the same for all sizes and breeds of dog. My JRT who weighs 7kg can have 1x4mg piriton tablet every 8 hours which is the normal adult dose of humans, so this is the same as I would give my other dog if she ever needed it and she weighs over 40kg.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Bites and stings

Piriton Tablets
Dose - 1 x 4mg per day for a small dog
3 x 4mg per day for a medium dog
5 x 4mg per day for a large dog
wasp sting - vinegar
bee sting - bicarb
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by parsonsmum View Post
Bites and stings

Piriton Tablets
Dose - 1 x 4mg per day for a small dog
3 x 4mg per day for a medium dog
5 x 4mg per day for a large dog
wasp sting - vinegar
bee sting - bicarb
Now vet told me on Saturday that my JRT can have 1x 4mg every 8 hours (3 times a day).
jaynee
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jaynee welcome to Dogsey.
Sorry I can't help with your query. I personally would never give human medication to a dog unless advised to do so by a vet (except in extreme circumstance ). 'Human' medications frequently have a different coating and absorbsion rate to those used on animals and should be given with care.
Another thing to consider is if your dog is insured and you give it any unprescribed medication and it has an adverse effect, it may affect your insurance.

I have an antihistamine called Atarax from the vets which I keep in the house for emergences.

That said someone else here may be able to advise you on dosage of Piriton, or better still ring the vet.
Thank you for the info
jaynee