View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Yes, physical aversives are NEVER needed in training. If someone thinks they are, then either they are doing something wrong, or there is something wrong with the dog. This could range from a medical problem to something like a bitch coming up to her season.

Very very rarely, when working on a behaviour problem there may be a place for something like a spray collar but even then that should be a very last resort and preferably done with the help of a good behaviourist or trainer, rather than the owner just putting one on and spraying away with bad timing etc.

I speak as someone who used to use physical aversives but now doesn't. I find my training is more effective these days

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by EdDTS View Post
Nope. I'm saying that nothing is going to work for every dog.
In theory, you shouldn't need physical aversives, but it's just that, theory.
There's a place for those methods because of the few dogs that won't respond to it.
I advocate being positive, believe me, going to aversives is a last resort kind of thing to me but I do see a place for it.

Here's a video, you can watch the entire video but it's not really relevant to the point I want to make. The story he tells about his Malinois is what I'm talking about. There's a percent that will need aversives. Not every dog, and it shouldn't be a go to method, but it shouldn't be completely thrown out the window either.

http://youtu.be/-15QnSF_tZ8?t=6m45s
That's quite a long video, and thankfully he does say alpha rolls are not good. ( I am always very suspicious of anything from Leerburg as Frawley used to recommend the most horrible "corrections" and uses the collar that chokes dogs until they pass out).

Can you point out on the timeline which bit you are referring to, please?

Wys
x
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
For balance it should be remembered that ideally all the TV training/behavioural programmes should mention ruling out medical reasons and this is a point not frequently stressed on other programmes either. That doesn't make it right in any case, but it isn't exclusive to Milan's shows that this is often overlooked or not mentioned.

Although of course we do not know if this has also already happened behind the scenes and some issues in programmes are clearly training problems from the history and presentation, rather than health-dependent behavioural issues.

It should however be remembered for balance that positive methods can also cause harm. If a method is a powerful training technique then mis-timing can powerfully strengthen the behaviour that is intended to be reduced/removed which can be dangerous e.g if dealing with aggression, or getting a dog over excited to overcome fear can lead to over reactivity, rather than calm acceptance.

If owner mis-timing of reward is combined with self reward factors of the undesirable behaviour, that can be a very potent reward indeed, and as we all know, intermittent reinforcement is another powerful technique, so this could happen, even if they only sometimes mis-timed it.

Mis-timing (of positives or negatives) of course also contributes to miscommunication and inconsistency which can add to anxiety.

So unfortunately it is not necessarily the case that reward or "positive" methods does no harm either.

I am not against positive methods, or pro aversive methods (I think every case should be assessed and treated as individually appropriate to all its considerations), but there are plenty of others here putting the pro positive/anti aversion side so there is no need for me to add to that, as it is already pretty fully covered, unlike this aspect.
Just tried to 'add reputation' for the above post but apparently I can't add second reputation to the same poster without praising somebody else in between.

So I will praise you here and now!

Excellent, informative, articulate post. But then I don't expect anything less than that from you.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And he blames the owners.............for their negative energy
Have you seen the whole episode?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Have you seen the whole episode?
Yes............................
EdDTS
New Member!
Male 

10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
That's quite a long video, and thankfully he does say alpha rolls are not good. ( I am always very suspicious of anything from Leerburg as Frawley used to recommend the most horrible "corrections" and uses the collar that chokes dogs until they pass out).

Can you point out on the timeline which bit you are referring to, please?

Wys
x
That's strange. The link should have sent you to the correct time I was talking about.
6:45 is the time where he tells the story. I'll edit my original post so people reading it won't be confused.
Edit: It seems I can no longer edit that post. Strange.

Leerburg recently has been endorsing a lot of more positive methods. I keep track of the site and of his videos and I see a lot more about marking, clickers, treats than before.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by EdDTS View Post
That's strange. The link should have sent you to the correct time I was talking about.
6:45 is the time where he tells the story. I'll edit my original post so people reading it won't be confused.
Edit: It seems I can no longer edit that post. Strange.

Leerburg recently has been endorsing a lot of more positive methods. I keep track of the site and of his videos and I see a lot more about marking, clickers, treats than before.
I've found it now, sorry I think it did go to the correct time, it was just me being confused

See I don't really get what he's saying. So he had a Malinois pup (puppy!!) who kept biting him hard and so he whammed it across the face ...

If he's saying it's ok to use aversives in certain situations then he's showing his limits as a dog trainer.

I would imagine he lacked patience, but also was frustrated at what was perhaps an extinction burst in the puppu.

My own dog was nicknamed mad bitey puppy when she was younger (she's a BSD) but I would never have hit her like he did this dog. We managed fine and she's got superb bite inhibition, the best I've seen in any dog.

His name rings a bell, was he the one of the Monks of New Skete? If so that would explain his attitude a fair bit... although it's good to know he does more generally advocate not alpha rolling and so on.

Wys
x
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Just tried to 'add reputation' for the above post but apparently I can't add second reputation to the same poster without praising somebody else in between.

So I will praise you here and now!

Excellent, informative, articulate post. But then I don't expect anything less than that from you.
Thank you
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12