Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:15 PM

Keyhole or normal spay?

Whats better do you reckon?
I know the keyhole cuts down the recovery time and requires less stitches but then if it's a normal spay do bitches really suffer that much with it?

Both girls will be done at the same time so the plan is they will heal 2gether and its done and dusted then, they've only been out of season fully a few days so they are both booked in for end of june begining of July.
So i've got plenty of time to change which op i want.
What do u reckon?x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
For me personally, I don't see the point in the keyhole, because the womb still remains, and it's the womb and uterus which gets infected with pyometra and that would be my main concern for having a spey in the first place. The keyhole would only stop any unwanted pregnancy, but not remove the womb and uterus, so it's a no for me.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Cheers hun I never knew that it was just mentioned when I rang and made the appointment,
I knew a bitch that survived pyo (just) so i'd prefer everything taken away and then there's no risk (if I understand it correctly )
xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I think this keyhole business is purely a sterilisation op isn't it (the same as us humans can have done without having a full hystorectomy), and in that case, I'm right, the organs which would be affected through pyo would still be there, but you'd have no more seasons and no risk of pregnancy. That's my take on it anyways, but maybe somebody knows different coz I don't know about dogs only humans!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:36 PM
To be honest i'd prefer to take away all risk of pyo as it's not something i'd want to go through with my girls x
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Star had a spay like a cat does which meant no outer stitches and a tiny wound. She recovered quickly from the op too
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Star had a spay like a cat does which meant no outer stitches and a tiny wound. She recovered quickly from the op too
I had my kitten spayed 4 weeks ago n she had a large wound n atleast 6 stitches so are there different types depending on the vets used?x
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Different vets probably have different ways of spaying. Our vet has been spaying this way for a while now. I have been told that this is a popular way to spay a cat

Star had a wound of just over an inch on her flank closed with glue. We never had any problems with it.

Edited to add it is called a left lateral flank spay.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Hmmm
Thanks for that hun, I might have a word with them about the wound and procedure, I'm not worried about it to be honest but if its a big wound my wimpy dogs will make me sorry
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
If by keyhole you mean removal of the ovaries (ovarioectomy) then no, pyo is not a risk once sterilisation has taken place - there was a study on it:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

I assume the pyo must be hormone related - and the removal of the ovaries stops this.

My girl had a ovarioectomy as it was said to be much less traumatic on the body and much quicker recovery time. I also actually quite liked the thought that less of her had been removed! lol

A vets view: http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/e.../neutering.pdf
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >