register for free

Dog News

Merseyside dangerous dog raids: Police acted 'unlawfully'

A police crackdown that saw 22 dangerous dogs rounded up and destroyed across Merseyside was "unlawful", a court has ruled.

The dogs were seized in March as part of an operation against owners who failed to comply with rules allowing them to be kept.

The owners took legal action, claiming officers had no authority to take the pets because they had no court order.

A High Court judge agreed, ruling that Merseyside Police had acted unlawfully.

The hearing in Manchester was told magistrates were the only people who had the right to order the dogs' destruction.

The ruling, which came following a judicial review of the force's actions, could allow the owners to claim compensation.

James Parry, a solicitor acting on behalf of the owners, said: "There's nothing that can be done to bring these dogs back.

"However, what this case does do is to prevent Merseyside Police, or any other police force in England and Wales from continuing to embark on this sort of unlawful action."

Dogs banned under the Dangerous Dog Act can be exempted from the law if their owners satisfy certain conditions.

The destroyed pets, described as "pitbull type dogs", belonged to owners who had not complied with some of those conditions, such as failing to renew insurance.

Merseyside's Assistant Chief Constable Andy Ward said the force had acted in "good faith".

"We believed the dogs in breach of the ongoing requirements of the exemption represented a danger to public safety," he said.

He said it was in the public interest for the law to be clarified, and the force has "noted" the ruling.
Article here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-30400396

I am not sure what to comment about this, but if the police did act unlawfully, something must have not been right about the situation.

Your comments and views:
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-12-2014, 08:22 AM
"acted in "good faith""
I'm reminded of an act of terrorism that occurred in Canada and most likely in the US and South America as well,where law enforcement agents were sent to villages to "destroy" the "Indian dogs"/"village dogs" citing they were "disease carrying" "half wild beasts" that were "a threat" to "much superior European purebred" dogs and " good people". These law enforcement agents shot kids pets, trappers sled dogs, hunting dogs, harrier dogs, pursuit dogs and watch dogs in full view of the people that specifically bred the dogs for those reasons and raised them specially as to their breeding. Even children, my great grandfather being one of them, witnessed this systemic slaughter. Documentation(hence the quotation marks)has been uncovered and is now available to the public.
Because of that act of terrorism there are only 6 out of an estimated 112 and quite possibly many more
preColumbian breeds of New World (American) dogs.

Unfortunately, even today, some police officers tend to take the law into their own hands.
I have personally witnessed law enforcement agents shooting to death a pet dog defending his owner's children from unannounced, uninvited, unwelcome company. It was just a 40 lb mutt but nonetheless a protective one just doing what pet dogs do.

I'm glad the owners took legal action.

"insurance"...... ....commerce!
"good faith". .hmph! ...OK....

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top