View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Less barking, please! Better still, NONE!

Hi! My new pup will be with me soon, so I'm looking for ideas about how to prevent my old Kali from teaching him to bark at anything that moves (or even doesn't move ). He taught Snorri-dog to shout at everything, and no doubt he'll try to teach Thorgeir too, and this, we can do without!

So, short of throttling the old boy, any bright ideas?

Snorri
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Snorri thats a difficult one as Kali has always done it I would try the NO and hope the pup picks up that you don't want him to do it xxxx

Can not really suggest anything else as if they are together, they usually follow each others ways.

Reah is the one to bark here first (really only when someone comes to the door though) but one bark from her, sets off the other two, it's like the hounds of Baskerville.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Oh, I'm pants at this, and can only think of exactly what YS said above.

Less than useful, I know - sorry!

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 12:28 PM
you could try clicker training the pup? that way you can pick they behaviours you want, it would also be a great way for you to do more training, you can do a fair bit of clicker work simply by sitting in your chair with a pot of food and a clicker, if you want me to give you more details or take a quick vid of my lot let me know xx
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi,

With my 2, Zane barks at anythign and everythign, whether it moves or not (but it does depend on what day of the week it is!). Ellie barks when she has reason too, and as a result is a fantastic guard dog. Ellie is 4 months younger than Zane and Zane was 6 months old when I brought Ellie home. She barks at what she wants to, not what Zane wants to bark at. So it doesnt' always follow that a new pup will dollow aimlessly and start barking unnecessarily.

But the idea about clicker training is a good one. The pup will learn what is acceptabel ornot when he realises he gets no treats for barking.

Laura xx