Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2007, 03:13 PM

Dog with Dandruff

Sorry for the title! But basically that is what it is.

I took willow to the vets because she was itching, l had treated her for fleas last Friday but we have not had any improvement.

The Vet says it could be mites but she could not find any under the microscope. She suggested could be very dry skin and gave me some shampoo and said to wash her once a week for a fortnight to see if that improved the problem.

My problem is l don't like washing puppies she is only 9 weeks. I have got to keep the shampoo away from her face and she must not lick herself. Sorry but l am not happy.
Could anyone suggest a very mild shampoo. Or any herbal remedy that might help. Thank you very much Mosie
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 03:15 PM
What is she being fed on? With regards to shampooing I would get a specific mild one for puppies from the pet shop. As to not bathing them, my poodle babies were done last week aged just 4 weeks and they will be done every week from now on!
Becky
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Hector is scratching like a good'un and has dandruff.
I thought he might have fleas but i think he must just have itchy skin.(couldnt see any fleas) Also, dont dog fleas bite, im sure id know now.
Looks like i'll have to get to the vet and get some shampoo like you did.
idunno
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Surely it wouldnt be worth getting the shampoo if the dog cannot lick itself, like Mahoo said it could be the food they are on, i hope you both sort it out soon.
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Thank for replying everyone Beckie she is on chum complete which is what the breeder had put her on. Can you suggest some think else that l could try. I just don't like the idea of a shampoo that could cause Willow any harm. I will go to a pet shop and buy a puppy shampoo.
Thank you Mosie
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I would change her to a better quality food such as Arden Grange or Burns, they are free from artificial additivies and have significantly better quality ingredients.
Cheap foods can cause skin problems.
Becky
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Thank you Becky l will get some tomorow. I was going to change her diet but was leaving it until she had settle down. I don't think she is very keen on the chum anyway.
Thank you again for your advice. Mosie
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Giving my dog Salmon oil every day in her food got rid of her dandruff within 2 weeks. Fish oils are good for skin condition.
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Thank you Zetacharlie, I will see if l can get some oil tomorrow. The vet did suggest getting some fish oil.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Syd used to have a dandruff problem and thining of the coat on his back but no itching and had to be shampoo'd DAILY and the shampoo had to be left on for 10 mins at a time. Great fun as you can imagine, It definately didn't harm his coat as it was specifically designed not to, but I guess it depends on what shampoo the vet has given you. I too would change the food for something hypo-allergenic but it could take several weeks to see an improvement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >