Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
billfaith
New Member!
Male 

27-12-2016, 03:52 PM

My girl went downhill fast

Our 14.5 year old jack Russell terrier had been in renal failure for about a year. She has spent the last 6 months on subcutaneous fluids and has done ok. I had been giving them to her weekly until a month ago when her kidney blood test numbers went high (creatinine of 7.2). After that we increased the subq to daily and her numbers came way down (creatinine of 3.5) though her phosphorus stayed high (10). She began vomiting last week wednsday and we took her in on Friday and her creatinine was still at 3.5. Our vet gave her some anti nausea meds that helped Friday night. By Saturday she was vomiting all day again. We took her in yesterday and were told her numbers spiked, creatinine off the charts for an in house test (over 12). They then said she has heart failure going on which was a first we have heard of this. They put her on IV fluids and some other drugs for 6 hours. We came in last night with the intention of moving her to a hospital that would watch her all night. Our vet and another at our hospital told us that her prognosis was grim. She said its very hard to treat either a heart condition or renal failure without making the other worse. They said she might not make it through the night on the IV. The last thing we wanted was her dying without us. Our vets convinced us that she was not going to recover. We decided to end her life while holding her and crying hysterically. I dont want to have second thoughts but has anyone ever been through such a fast decline? Our doc basically told us on Friday that she was sick but this was not likely the end, and now here we are on Tuesday morning and she is gone. I am just in shock at what happened and how fast it happened. I knew this day would come since the day we brought her home when she was the size of a softball, but I could never imagine how hard it would be to come home without her.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2016, 04:11 PM
My Parson Russell was diagnosed with heart failure after developing a cough, he died in my arms two days later he was 14 and had no other health issues as such.
I'm sorry for your loss x
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Sad stories.........
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2017, 01:35 AM
In my opinion, it is hard for me to imagine that your dog's kidneys is what caused her death. Due to the rapid decline and death, I would believe that the failing heart was the cause. Absolutely nothing that you could do to alter this outcome. Sounds like she had a good life and it is obvious that she had great caretakers. Time heals all and after a while, you can focus only on the good times. Take care.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Going through it right now -diagnosed heart murmur 10 months ago. Told had not got any worse just a week ago. Now my little dog is very, very ill. I'll open a thread soon.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2017, 11:41 AM
It's really very natural to want someone to blame. Often that is the vets because they are the ones who usually make things better and, in our grief, we can't understand why they couldn't do it 'just one more time'.

It is the very worst part of pet companionship. We all know that one day we will lose them, but, of course, we never want that to happen.

In time, you will be able to look back on the happier times more often than the end and that is when grief becomes a little more bearable. <Hugs> xx