Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Musical shows

Are there any you have seen that you enjoyed so much that you wanted to see again - and if so, did you?

And are any that you did not see but really wanted to?

Having left the UK 27 years ago there are so many shows I never had the opportunity of seeing and have to make do with audio CDs of the music - currently listening for the umpteenth time to "Cats" - but I so much wanted to see it on stage.

I remember many years ago being taken to see "The King and I" on stage - complementary tickets my Father got from somewhere - in front stalls at that, and in later years going to see "West Side Story" on stage - also complementary tickets thanks to a "friend" - in fact I saw that half a dozen times within the space of about three weeks and never had enough of it!

So many I would have loved to have seen, and I must admit that the Lloyd-Webber ones are at the top of my list.

Can anyone guess that I am currently wallowing in not only my music CDs but also YouTube!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I saw the Phantom of the Opera in Vienna many years ago in German.

I could go and watch that again and again I think but I have not.

I saw it on the same trip that I saw the Spanish School of Vienna, both the evening performance and the training one.

Went to mass at the Hofburg palace with the Vienna Boys Choir.

It was a very memorable trip.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I liked the Madness musical Our House. I have it on DVD.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 04:20 PM
We're taking my eldest daughter to see Wicked for her 16th birthday in October It's the show she actually wants to be in on the West End when she's older. But apart from a touring production of return to the forbidden planet when I was in my teens I have never actually seen a show!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I've been to see quite a few Musicals in my time but i adore The 'King and I' . It was my favourite film as a child and my Mum had the Album too,She took me to see it Twice as a birthday treat. I found the old programs i had recently when we moved house
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I saw The Lion King in New York a few years ago. It was phenomenal.

I went again in London a couple of years ago and it was just as awesome the second time around.

I've also seen Billy Elliot which was just fabulous too.

I'd love to see more, but I don't have anyone to go with any more and Baz isn't over-keen - more of a football fan
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I've seen Blood Brothers a few times and we have Les Mis on DVD although I've never had the oportunity to see that live. Both very good shows
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I've seen Les Mis which was really amazing but also quite complicated I also went to see Legally Blonde the Musical a few years ago & it was surprisingly good! The songs were pretty good too

I also really love Chicago & would love to see that on stage It is such a good story & the music is fantastic.

My favourite musical is still Little Shop of Horror though
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2012, 07:09 PM
"The King and I" I first saw as a stage show, with Herbert Lom and Valerie Hobson, and I first saw the film with Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr in 1956 not that long after it was released.

"West Side Story" - the stage show was totally incredible, and much as I loved, and still love, the film, there is just something that bit different. Same music but not quite the same in certain cases, and still after all these years I think hey, no, that is x notes wrong, or x beats out - mainly the latter. And in the film one of the scenes is in a different place. And for me Richard Beymer and Russ Tamblyn were just wrong.

But that was so many years ago and I have missed out on so many musicals since then.

And I still remember fondly the stage musicals.