Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
To me I see very little difference between inflicting pain on a child or on a dog, they are both sentient beings requiring kindness, consideration and duty of care from us all .

Those who inflict pain on dogs using e collars should be in court for animal abuse.
I fully agree with you.

It beggars belief that someone should use one on a child, but it is only one small step away from its use on a dog
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by waggytail View Post
Gnasher, you are very brave to discuss this subject so openly and honestly on this forum. I totally agree that certain breeds of dog have stronger instincts and can be much harder to train for off lead control. Many people have considered using remote collars especially when other methods such as long-line training etc can require much more time/commitment, I also know of collars being used when there are extreme safety issues involved.

Remote collars are not for me but I can see that the desicison to use a collar on your dog was clearly not taken lightly, you have researched its use and trained responsibly with it.
Thank you waggy tail, it has been a long, hard road but we finally have the dog that we knew was there all the time buried under 5 years of abuse, poor handling or both. He is a delight and a joy to own now - much less DA, although he still has his moments. We do at least understand now what triggers this, and can deal with it promptly to prevent an incident.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Jackie, as usual you are jumping to conclusions. I have not formed an alliance with her, if you read my posts there is no indication whatsoever of such an alliance. But as with everyone, one can always find something that one can agree upon ... even you and me I suspect!! There is a lot that you say that I totally agree with with, and vice versa I'm sure.

I don't like these Dogsey witch-hunts - if you do not like what Nicky says, then do what I do and just ignore her! Why does everyone have to be so nasty ... I have ignored most of what she says, but am very interested to discuss with anyone their experiences with an e-collar for obvious reasons.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 01:30 PM
And in case anyone is wondering, I have been absent from Dogsey for a very long time for a very good reason. Over the past couple of years I have lost both my father and my mother, and had to nurse both through to their deaths in their beloved home, which is now up for sale. In addition, I am suffering severe health problems as is my daughter, so enough reason to not have much time for Dogsey I think!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 01:33 PM
He's off-lead, but held firmly by the collar! We also make sure that before we take him out to the car the next door neighbours are not coming across our drive, just to be on the safe side.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
And in case anyone is wondering, I have been absent from Dogsey for a very long time for a very good reason. Over the past couple of years I have lost both my father and my mother, and had to nurse both through to their deaths in their beloved home, which is now up for sale. In addition, I am suffering severe health problems as is my daughter, so enough reason to not have much time for Dogsey I think!
It's so devastating to lose parents - it really does knock you for six. I hope you and your daughter both get over your health problems quickly. Rough time for you all x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
He's off-lead, but held firmly by the collar! We also make sure that before we take him out to the car the next door neighbours are not coming across our drive, just to be on the safe side.
Ah sorry. From your earlier post it looked like you were opening the door and letting him make his own way to the car which wouldn't be a very good idea
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear your dreadfully sad news Gnasher Must be a very difficult time for you and your daughter. I hope you both recover from your own health problems very soon.

Just to get the thread back on topic, I have used an electric collar in the past on a sheep worrier. Watching my dog yelp and leap into the air a couple of times was enough to convince me there were better and kinder ways to train my dog. I have never used one since and, yes, that sheep worrier is now under control around stock (although I would never trust him if he got out alone - but I don't think electric collar training would have changed that anyway).
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanx guys much appreciated xx gnasher
russhw
New Member!
Male 

14-09-2016, 10:46 AM
i use the electric fence(not training collar) a few zapps in the beginning a lifetime off the lead after awhile i set it to tone only

images hosting
Page 31 of 42 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 41 > Last »