Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bullylurchers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Dandruff

Hi all

my dogs have dandruff and it gets worse if they have a bath or a brush, they are fed on the barf diet and have linseed oil in thier meals, i have been told that canned fish in oil 3 times a week will keep dandruff at bay? I hate the stuff and they get a bath in head and shoulders when neccessary!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm not the most experienced of dog owners but is it okay to use human head and shoulders on a dog. It wouldn't be you having to eat the canned fish You can feed the canned fish but not all the oil that comes along with it.

Do you bath them a lot? I don't bath my dogs, could you be stripping the oils from their coats by bathing them frequently.

Luckily there are lots of experienced dog owners here so they will be along soon and keep you right.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:11 PM
We have a lurcher and she has the same issues after a bath or when brushed. I tried adding salmon oil and that didnt do anything to help. She isnt bathed that often so its not due to the natural oils. Sorry not much help with the what will help!

Will watch this thread to see what others come up with
bullylurchers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Thankyou! I definately wouldn't be eating the fish I don't bath them alot, maybe every 3 or 4 months when the dandruff takes over the coat, i hate the stuff and it's embarrassing!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:43 PM
You could try giving them a short groom every day with a soft brush - this might distribute the oil in the coat better?
bullylurchers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:54 PM
If i brush them, usually with a zoom groom (the soft rubber one with tips like fingers?) that brings out the dandruff even more and i used to do it everyday and stopped because of this! Damn it does my head in!!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Sorry, just realised I read your first post wrong. I thought you were saying you hated the canned fish. now realise you meant you hate the dandruff.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 09:35 PM
What shampoo are you using? Are you rinsing enough? Any chance that this could be building up and causing the dandruff?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by bullylurchers View Post
If i brush them, usually with a zoom groom (the soft rubber one with tips like fingers?) that brings out the dandruff even more and i used to do it everyday and stopped because of this! Damn it does my head in!!
But the brushing doesn`t cause the dandruff, does it? It should massage the skin, which is beneficial. And remove dead flakes from the coat. Why not use a soft brush and see if there is an improvement after 10 days or so.
You can always go over with a damp cloth to `dust` the topcoat afterwards.