Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Not yet neutered at 4 yrs old ... ?

Hi, following on from my question about changing a dog's name, we have found a possible dog to adopt. He's a black lab, 4 years old. Haven't met him yet, but apparently he hasn't been neutered. Does that matter ? Could we get him "done" if his behaviour/whatever warranted it, once he has settled in ?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
yes you could have him done, but to be honest, if he is well behaved, good with other dogs, then I wouldnt, unless there is a high chance of him getting to an in season bitch.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I`ve got 3 late-neutered males. It doesn`t seem to have bothered them at all - even the one who was previously used as a stud dog. Most rescues will ask you to neuter to prevent breeding.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes the dog can be neutered. 4 isn't old for a Lab.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
yes you could have him done, but to be honest, if he is well behaved, good with other dogs, then I wouldnt, unless there is a high chance of him getting to an in season bitch.

I agree with Shona
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes you can still get him done if required. Just bear in mind some behaviours become 'learned' and so castration at a later stage may not help them.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I have never castrated my dogs except for a health reason and my eldest was done at 10 years because of a benign tumour, he had no problem but we have to watch his weight and take him to the groomer about 6 times a year because of a grease over grown coat.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 03:32 PM
hi
if its a rescue centre/breed rescue then most expect the dog to be neutured and its part of the adoption process . Some will get a voucher towards it if on low income etc but they will make it part of the adoption procedure.

good luck
dani
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Absolutely no need to remove parts of a healthy dog and risk a general anesthetic too! Hope you have lots of fun with him. When I did rescue, we never had the males neutered unless there was good reason for it, we always had the females spayed as it is far more beneficial health wise for them. I have 2 entire males here no problems, 2yrs and almost 10yrs.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 03:47 PM
If he's from the Dog's Trust they will either have him done before you get him, or make an appointment for you to have him done.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >