Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2017, 08:20 PM

Shouting

Quite a few dog owners/walkers shout at their dogs.
But dogs have much more acute hearing than humans. So why don't they get that? Leads tight as bow strings?

In my opinion a stroll with the dog should be a pleasant and a relaxing experience. Not a stressful morning duty. Or a must be done chore.

Perhaps we are just very lucky.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Yes, I know someone who has a voice like a foghorn when she expects her dog to recall and he just blanks her out.
I also don’t agree with her way of thinking that when her dog is loose near a road he won’t get run over because he’s petrified of traffic.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2017, 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
Yes, I know someone who has a voice like a foghorn when she expects her dog to recall and he just blanks her out.
I also don’t agree with her way of thinking that when her dog is loose near a road he won’t get run over because he’s petrified of traffic.
Quite so.
I put Max on a lead when we are in traffic. Not because he fears it. And he is very good about the "wait" and "cross"commands. But if he saw a cat or a squirrel........
It isn't a risk I'm prepared to take.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
But if he saw a cat or a squirrel........
It's entirely possible for a squirrel and definately a cat to be near a road so it's a wise precaution.

Casey & Lara are always on a lead near roads. I don't shout at them either. Casey has no recall, he just stands there and looks at me his arthritus prevents him from running anywhere so I just think he should enjoy pottering around while he still can stand.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Quite so.
I put Max on a lead when we are in traffic. Not because he fears it. And he is very good about the "wait" and "cross"commands. But if he saw a cat or a squirrel........
It isn't a risk I'm prepared to take.
How many dog owners have said “we’ll theyve never done that before “.
Too late when your dog has been run over/caused an accident
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
How many dog owners have said “we’ll theyve never done that before “.
Too late when your dog has been run over/caused an accident
Good points. I tie Max to the bicycle rail outside our local convenience store People fuss over him. and he enjoys that.

But there is always the what if factor. A cat, a squirrel, a motorbike. So he gets tied up.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't shout either I am lucky in being surrounded by fields and can let Chloe off to explore in peace without some wretched human spoiling her day by nagging and calling her all the time .

Her recall isn't that good now anyway my fault for not continuing to train it . With a high prey drive the adrenaline of chase seems to block her hearing.
We are both getting old and only walk the fields which are free of humans and other dogs these days so no problem .

I don't shout when Chloe is doing her job and barking at strangers outside either , I call her in an excited voice to 'come and tell me about it' which she does by standing by my side and doing a growling grumble
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I don't shout either I am lucky in being surrounded by fields and can let Chloe off to explore in peace without some wretched human spoiling her day by nagging and calling her all the time .

Her recall isn't that good now anyway my fault for not continuing to train it . With a high prey drive the adrenaline of chase seems to block her hearing.
We are both getting old and only walk the fields which are free of humans and other dogs these days so no problem .

I don't shout when Chloe is doing her job and barking at strangers outside either , I call her in an excited voice to 'come and tell me about it' which she does by standing by my side and doing a growling grumble
This evening on our late stroll we encountered a guy with his dog straining on the lead.
"Stop f**ing pulling!" he was constantly shouting.
Max had a bit of a look but the shouting made him think better of it.
"Max, let's go" and we did.

I don't think people like that should be allowed to have dogs.
Rant over.