View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2017, 09:18 PM
I don't keep my mouth shut, not sure that's actually possible tbh but I just say they're raw fed and that's not changing. I think what I feed my dogs is my responsibility and I take it seriously, same as when my kids were little they never had cereals full of sugar, weren't allowed to add sugar or salt to foods and they just thought it normal.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Oh they know it won't change and they are tight lipped as well, one of the nurses actually asked me how they got their vitamins and minerals when they were raw fed. So that, I feel, shows the full extent of their nutritional expertise
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2017, 05:43 AM
I alway think of a dog in the wild with a can of dog food and a tin opener around the neck. So when hungry the dog opens the tin. Obviously dogs in the wild eat raw food not out of tins.
Nothing wrong with Raw feeding what the problem is if you keep changing what he eats.
Dogs are not like humans that can eat anything without getting an upset stomach, they need the same diet day in day out or else you have what you describe the problem your dog has.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2017, 09:14 AM
Dogs in the wild eat what they can catch, and that varies, they also eat fruit and some grasses. There is a tummy bug going round and this sounds like Cariad had a few weeks ago. I worked everyone with Drontal, just in case. And she deposited what looked like an Alien in a gel bubble. I gave her Manuka honey twice a day for a while and her poo went back to normal.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Mine eat raw but it's different raw every day, no 2 meals are ever the same. The only consistency is that it's raw but even then from time to time they get things like scrambled eggs, variety is the spice of life.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-01-2017, 10:00 AM
My two are fed mostly on a "home cooked" diet of meat, poultry, offal, fish and a large selection of veggies and fruit.

In winter when it's difficult getting to the shops and on holiday or when they stay in kennels they're given a good quality grain free kibble, mixed with some 100% pure meat canned food.

They're also regularly given raw chicken feet, necks and wings as well as eggs, cheese, tinned sardines, goats milk and kefir or natural yoghourt.

It's extremely rarely either of them suffers from any tummy upsets and neither of them has ever had any skin problems.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Agreed but I think it is appalling that vets have so little training in nutrition. Nutrition is the most important thing for any species, and for them to display such a level of ignorance about the most basic yet most important element of any animal husbandry is in my mind totally unacceptable. I see where you are coming from re clinical judgement, but nutrition is SO important that it cannot surely be ignored? Take the example of a wound that is failing to heal after an operation - it is becoming infected. Poor nutrition results in a poor immune system, a poor immune system can very easily lead to serious complications. The old adage we are what we eat is so true.
I have a vet I put all my trust in, I don`t know if he knows about nutrition or prefers one type of food over another, i don`t expect him o to be honest, nor do I expect him to be a behaviorist , hes a vet he spends 4yrs learning about medicine and anatomy of hundreds of animals, where are they going to get the time to add on nutrition, you may get some vets who take an interest in diet, and that`s great if its what you want, but I don`t judge a vets competency on whether he knows about raw diet.

Poor nutrition/diet, what is this, a poor diet can be a poor raw diet as well as a poor kibble diet, you should be feeding your dog good quality food with good nutritional value kibble or raw, its down to preference.

A poor immune system can be down to many things, diet being a small part of this, as long as a dog is getting all the nutrients it needs it does not matter if its raw or kibble..

I really think we expect to much from our vets, they are there to treat health issues, nothing more.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
But nutrition - aka diet - is at the root of health in every single species on the planet, including us. All the old adages are true --- an army marches on its stomach, you are what you eat, put crap in, you get crap out. The list goes on and on. For me a vet who criticises raw feeding (if done properly) is a vet who has failed to grasp the very essence of the array of species that they deal with. It is not an easy job - which is why a veterinary course is 5 years, not the 3 years for human doctors.

But nutrition is at the very core of the health of any species of animal, plant or mineral on this planet. Ipso facto, I think very little of any vet who poo poos the natural diet of a canine, which is raw meat, bones and a little plant material. That does not mean I think that any dog who is not raw fed is unhealthy, I just personally think that a vet is totally incompetent who poo poos raw feeding when done properly.
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2017, 01:15 AM
Check the AHVMA.com website and use their index for an alternative vet in your area. Better, just ignore the signs from the vet. It is his/her problem, not yours. However, a vet that is that narrow-minded, will probably be limited in recommendations when things don't go as planned. Good luck
Meg
Supervisor

06-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Instinct tells me to take him to the vet, but their mantra is always "don't ever feed raw".
Hi Dee with regard to vets remember you are the paying customer here and can choose to feed your dog as you think best.

I am usually the one telling my vet what I think is best for my dog, they know better than to lecture me on dog food knowing they may get a lecture on additives in dog food in return

My 12 month old raw fed English Springer has been "off colour" for a few days now. He has loose stools ( sometimes runny), and although he is happy to race about as usual during his hour and a quarter long walk in the mornings, he is sleeping for the rest of the day - very out of character! The thing that's worrying me is that he's not enthusiastic about his meals any more- sometimes refusing food altogether. Instinct tells me to take him to the vet, but their mantra is always "don't ever feed raw". I don't want to be lectured on my choice of feeding! Does anyone know of a website that lists vets who support raw feeding? I've tried googling with little success. Many thanks!
the racing about could just be adrenaline caused by the excitement of a walk....

Any sudden change in behaviour even more so if it involves loose stools/ lethargy /reluctance to eat should be checked out by a vet.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >