Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2009, 07:50 PM

cutting a feed out-advice please

my vizsla pup is just about 5 months old now. We were advised by the breeder to change from 3 feeds a day to 2 round about this time. what's the best way to do this? Do I just cut one out straight away or make his lunch time one smaller and increase the other two then cancel lunch over say- 2 weeks? Is now the right time to give him his food dry? I've been lessening the ammount of time I soak it over the last couple of weeks, he's been fine with it and still eating it as fast as ever. Advice please.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 07:52 PM
If you cut it out gradually over about a week he should be fine.The wetting his food is personal preference really..if he likes it theres no reason not to carry on,unless you want it dry for him in which case change it over a week or so again. Hope that helps.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Let your puppy tell you when he doesnt want his 3rd meal, you will soon know and then can just stop giving it. All of my aduts still have warm water on their dry food.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:37 PM
ooops deleted.wrong thread!!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-07-2009, 02:57 AM
I always slowly cut back the meal until after a week it is gone. Some dogs will always continue to expect a meal. If a dog turns away from fod, it may be over fed.

If your dog chews its kibble, it is best to feed dry to help clean its teeth. The way most labs inhale their food, I wonder if it makes much difference.
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks to all. I'll phase his middle feed out over a couple of weeks. Not sure he would ever refuse a feed! He also is an inhaler of food and it's gone in 60 seconds!