View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twopups
New Member!
Male 

07-01-2010, 07:27 PM

Is it common for a microchip to come out?

Just had the pups chipped at the vets while they were having second injections,got home and my partner was stroking Alfie on her lap and felt something hard,it was the chip sticking out of his back,rang vets and they told me to pull it right out and they would do it again,basically it was right out and just stuck to the blood,is it common for a hip to come out?
Not really happy about it.

Andy
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Never heard of that before
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't be happy either, I've never heard of it, I'd speak to your vet and ask why it happened if I was you.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Sounds like the Vet didn't implant properly , the technique should be insert the needle, pull the trigger, release the trigger & then pull out the needle. The Vet probably pulled out the needle without releasing the trigger, thus pulling the chip back out . I always keep my finger over the needle as I pull it out & keep it there until I read the chip
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Vet not done it proper wud b my guess x
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2010, 10:52 AM
When i went to my vet and we chatted about having the chip done as i was a bit wary, he said in some cases they have been known to fall out - not by him - but he said if it were to come out it would be within the first day after it being done, as the needle is quite big and it leaves a little hole in the neck - i didn't like the sound of that lol, but i did have it done after, and bless him, my puppy didn't move or make a noise, and it hasn't come out.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2010, 11:33 AM
sounds like vet didnt do the job properley we had aces done nearly 10 years ago but after a few months it kept moving its now under his front leg! but not paying for another one as it works just have to put an id on him saying he is chipped and where it is!
badboys
New Member!
Male 

08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I Just had Dudley done last week and the vet did mention that sometimes the chip can come out, but it was quite a rare occurance. I'm sure that your vet would re-do the Chip FOC if you insisted.

Good luck !
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I've heard of them moving around in the body, but not coming out altogether. I agree it does sound as though the vet didn't do it properly and I certainly wouldn't be paying for it to get re-done.

If I were you I would clarify this before you get an appt again! The vet can't have scanned the chip after inserting it surely? Otherwise it wouldn't have read properly would it?
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
They can and do migrate around the body and I've also been told that using homeopathic remedies can and have been known to expel the chip

A few years ago the trainer at the dog training club I used to go to showed us an article on this very thing happening, can't remember where the dog was from but the trainer brought it in to make us aware that these things happen ~ my own dogs chips have moved as did my sisters dogs ~ all used different vets so unless we both used incompetent vets can't blame them for not doing the job right

something to do with natural remedies heightening natural immune system therefore the chip is a 'Foreign body' and gets expelled ..... Sure someone more knowlegable will put us right ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >