Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 09:42 PM

Garden mulch a hazard for dogs.

I found this on another site., Thought our members might be interested.

Danger in the garden

The RSPCA is advising gardeners planning on spending time in the garden this summer to be wary of a mulch product which is potentially lethal to dogs.

If dogs eat cocoa mulch - which is sold in garden centres and DIY stores - it could poison them in the same way that chocolate can. Unfortunately not all manufacturers warn consumers of the dangers on mulch packaging.

Cocoa mulch, which to dogs smells very appetising, contains a strong concentration of theobromine. When swallowed, theobromine irritates the lining of the digestive system, causing vomiting and diarrhoea. The heart reacts by beating more quickly, causing blood pressure to rise and increasing the risk of heart failure. The kidneys are also affected and there may be an increase in thirst. The dog's muscles will begin to twitch, causing restlessness and convulsions, and the animal is likely to be distressed.

Tim Miles, the RSPCA's chief veterinary adviser, said: "The RSPCA is concerned that this product could cause dogs to become ill or even die. There are other types of garden mulch available which are not harmful to dogs. Dog owners using cocoa mulch should do so extremely sparingly and keep an eye on their dogs when they are near it. If they see their dog eating it, they should seek veterinary advice immediately."

Don't forget that chocolate also contains theobromine, which, although harmless to humans, can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions and even death for dogs. If you want to give your dog the occasional chocolate treat, stick to specially-made canine chocolate drops.
www.rspca.org.uk
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for that, I think its very wrong that they don't put a warning om the packet. I always check products I use in the garden to see if it says they are safe for pets but thats no good if there's no warning.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 10:04 PM
We spent money a few years ago putting bark down on the garden it looked lovely and the dog was always chewing bits of it. Then to my horror I read how dangerous it is because it has cocoa mulch in it so we had to take it all up. There should be a warning on the bags.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Yes, there were reports coming in back in 2003 of dogs being poisoned by this. I think it's important to empathsize just how toxic it can be to both dogs and cats as quote "Eaten by a 50-pound dog, about 2 ounces of cocoa bean mulch may cause gastrointestinal upset; about 4.5 ounces, increased heart rate; about 5.3 ounces, seizures; and over 9 ounces, death. (In contrast, a 50-pound dog can eat up to about 7.5 ounces of milk chocolate without gastrointestinal upset and up to about a pound of milk chocolate without increased heart rate.)
According to tables we've examined, cocoa mulch contains 300-1200 mg. of theobromine per ounce, making cocoa mulch one of the strongest concentrations of theobromine your pet will encounter in any chocolate product." Taken from Snopes Urban legends reference pages..Barbara "canine-one-one" M. Kelson for full article follow link ;http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

I think we are all pretty much aware of the dangers of theobromine in chocolate but it's quite surprising and alarming at just how much of the stuff is in this type of garden mulch!