View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bella84
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Thank you for the link, that definately looks worth a try.
While I am sure the freezing kills them off, the carcasses and faeces would remain wouldn't they.
Saying that it might be worth a try if Natures Menu makes no difference. Happy to try anything at least once.......you never know.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Bella84 View Post
While I am sure the freezing kills them off, the carcasses and faeces would remain wouldn't they.
Saying that it might be worth a try if Natures Menu makes no difference. Happy to try anything at least once.......you never know.
I am a wee bit confused here. Are you talking about raw pet food like Natures Menu, not that I really know what it is - or the food I buy for Pereg, which is fresh and from my poulterer or butcher and which I freeze it as soon as it is delivered.

And I have never seen faeces on the poultry or carcases because they are sold for human consumption, and I buy turkey gizzards, livers and hearts, which Pereg has raw and I cook for myself.

Also ox heart but that is mostly for me [because it is expensive and has to be ordered in advance and I am mean] plus udder and beef lung which are mostly for Pereg to have raw, and which come from a human quality butcher.

None of this food has ever caused gastrointestinal problems for either Pereg or myself. And I have never had food poisoning from touching the raw stuff.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

03-01-2014, 10:28 AM
In the kibble? I think the idea is to bag it and freeze it as soon as you buy a new bag, making sure the dust in the bottom of the bag is binned minimising any opportunity for the little blighters to multiply.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by plumpkin View Post
Julie can you tell me what it is you cook for your dogs , as i am thinking of making my own.
Sorry I missed this post. I cook 3rd protein (chicken breasts at the moment are cheap in Tesco) 3rd rice, and 3rd mixed vegetables (frozen mix again from Tesco).

Cook it all together for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked then blitz the chicken breasts in the food processor and mix them back into the rice and veg mix.

Mine love it ! And are looking good on it too.

They also have some tuna or mackerel if I open a can and if I bake a potato I stick one in the oven for them too along with any left over veggies (cauliflower and sprouts only when we are not having visitors as the wind is immense when they have them).
Bella84
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am a wee bit confused here. Are you talking about raw pet food like Natures Menu, not that I really know what it is - or the food I buy for Pereg, which is fresh and from my poulterer or butcher and which I freeze it as soon as it is delivered.

And I have never seen faeces on the poultry or carcases because they are sold for human consumption, and I buy turkey gizzards, livers and hearts, which Pereg has raw and I cook for myself.

Also ox heart but that is mostly for me [because it is expensive and has to be ordered in advance and I am mean] plus udder and beef lung which are mostly for Pereg to have raw, and which come from a human quality butcher.

None of this food has ever caused gastrointestinal problems for either Pereg or myself. And I have never had food poisoning from touching the raw stuff.
Malka I meant in the dry kibble. The bags are often breeding grounds for mites.
Trouble was suggesting putting the kibble into the freezer to kill off the mites. Id imagine it would work but the kibble would still contain the faeces and carcasses which are also allergens.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Malka I meant in the dry kibble. The bags are often breeding grounds for mites.
Trouble was suggesting putting the kibble into the freezer to kill off the mites. Id imagine it would work but the kibble would still contain the faeces and carcasses which are also allergens.
OK - I now understand, but before I changed Pereg to raw she was fed on kibble, as was my Little one, and I thought you were talking about raw meat and poultry.

I do, at times, give Pereg soaked kibble mixed with her vegetables as her first meal, just as sometimes she will have some tinned also mixed with vegetables [I also add well cooked whole grains] so that if she has to go to the Pension for emergency kenneling, I know what she will eat as they cannot guarantee to feed her raw as I do. It is more than enough for them to have to give her her medication.

Feeding kibble or opening a tin is easy. Working out raw with sufficient vitamins and minerals is not quite so easy. And with an epi dog it is even more importand to avoid certain things but learn what are good.

But epi or not, if I was ever able to have another dog, she would be fed on raw from the day I got her.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Does the steam cleaner help? That's another product I'm thinking of investing in.
I suspect Bellas latest outbreak is thanks to our Christmas tree although the vet also suggested it may be due to scented candles.
Will keep you posted about the Natures Menu diet.
Also just a quick question, how did you make the transition to the raw diet. Not sure whether to wean her onto it or just change her?
It should help as the steam kills dust mites....but we've not seen a difference yet, apart from the house being cleaner.

Tonks is on Naturediet which is a wet food in a traybut it's not raw.
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Just a thought but I believe freezing kibble kills off storage mites, just put the kibble into several meal sized portions and bung it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Also Indorex flea spray kills house dust mites too. Freezing the dogs bedding also kills them off apparently but obviously not everything will fit in the freezer

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatmen...00ml-can-p-677
I read that they are still insure as to if consuming dead storage mites would set up a reaction. So e decided to change to wet to be safe.
Bella84
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
It should help as the steam kills dust mites....but we've not seen a difference yet, apart from the house being cleaner.

I read that they are still insure as to if consuming dead storage mites would set up a reaction. So e decided to change to wet to be safe.
Do you give any kibble with the wet food, or is it just wet food only?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
...[snip]...
If it is not raw, is it just like canned food but in a tray?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Do you give any kibble with the wet food, or is it just wet food only?
I just give Tonks the wet food as it's complete and we are trying hard to avoid all kibble now.
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
If it is not raw, is it just like canned food but in a tray?
Well I didn't think it as raw. I've just read up on their gumf and the raw ingredients are mixed and then steam steralized...so I suppose that's a type of cooking so it's not raw..is it? Confused.com!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >