Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Going on holiday with my puppy ?

Hello everyone.
I wasn't sure which topic to put this under, but hopefully you can help me.
I am thinking of going to ireland with my puppy round about september. He will be 1 year old then so he will be old enough.
Has anyone travelled on hols with their dogs who can give advice - i have read through different magazines, but would like your advice aswell. He is microchipped, had vaccinations, wormed to date. I dont think he has to have a passport, but not sure. He will be travelling by ferry - how does this work - will he be i crate on his own as there might be 2 other family dogs going aswell, or will he stay in the car? - he does not do too well on his own at the mo, and it will be a 4 hour sail. Advice please from experiance. Thank you x
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by annspot80 View Post
Hello everyone.
I wasn't sure which topic to put this under, but hopefully you can help me.
I am thinking of going to ireland with my puppy round about september. He will be 1 year old then so he will be old enough.
Has anyone travelled on hols with their dogs who can give advice - i have read through different magazines, but would like your advice aswell. He is microchipped, had vaccinations, wormed to date. I dont think he has to have a passport, but not sure. He will be travelling by ferry - how does this work - will he be i crate on his own as there might be 2 other family dogs going aswell, or will he stay in the car? - he does not do too well on his own at the mo, and it will be a 4 hour sail. Advice please from experiance. Thank you x
Check with the ferry company: some will insist that a dog goes into the ships kennel and others don't have the facility and the dog stays in the car.

I always choose the shortest crossing whenever I am with my dogs. The Holyhead to Dublin High speed crossing is usually the shortest but not done it with my dog.

No passport required for Ireland.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:34 PM
If he isn't good on his own , I would choose a company that will allow him on board if I were you, I think some to Ireland do and as said above some don't.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
If he isn't good on his own , I would choose a company that will allow him on board if I were you, I think some to Ireland do and as said above some don't.
I'm pretty sure there aren't any ferry companies that will allow the dogs up on deck, they have to stay either in the car or in kennels (which are located where the cars are).

We regularly take the dogs over to Ireland with us. They don't need a passport. We normally travel with Stena, and the dogs are able to stay in their own car. Like wolfdogowner said, I would advise you to take the shortest journey possible. Hollyhead to Dublin on the Stena Adventurer takes about 3 hours 15mins. I would also advise you, if possible, to travel through the night. This is a good thing to do as the dogs are normally asleep at that time anyway. And generally, I would not use the on board kennels. Make sure you also open the widows slightly before you leave the dog (nobody has access to the cars when the ferry is moving so you don't need to worry) and make sure they have plenty of water. Get there with plenty of time as they like to board you early if they can. You'll also be able to get the dogs out and let them have a walk and a wee etc.
Elisabeth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I wish I was going to Ireland!!!

Some things that I take on vacation with me for the dogs:

- First Aid Kit

- Vet phone numbers and locations close to where we will be staying as well as my own.

- Identification number and a photo of my dog (incase they get lost, you have this on you).

- Long lead (I like the 40 feet)

- Short leash (4-6 feet)

- Towel or blanket from home

- Paper towels and cleaning agent incase dog is sick in the car

- Bags to dispose of waste

- Bowls for food and water

- "Quiet" toys such as a Kong or Bone (for the hotel)

- Training harness or collar (for when you venture into town)

I love traveling with my dogs, they really seem to enjoy it. I can't give any advice as to the location or means of travel (have only ever travelled with them in the car) but I do wish you luck and tones of fun!
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
...and for something to read try 'The Philosopher and the Wolf' by Mark Rowlands; there is a hilarious description of his ferry trip from Rosslare when his 'wolf' escaped from the car and turned up in the ferry restaurant!
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you all for your advice - haven't booked yet, but better get a move on lol.