Our sister sites
Our sister sites
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Diet advice for 8mth collie cross

Hi all,
I am expecting the arrival of a new addition to our family, 8 month old Ozzy. He is a Collie cross (but not sure which breed with) whos present owners have seperated and can no longer give him the time and exercise he needs and deserves.
I need advice about how much feed he will need as I last had a dog around 15 years ago and that dog was much smaller (king charles spaniel) and I am unsure of the amount and regularity of feed for this breed.
The present owners tell me they feed him bakers complete puppy feed at the moment.
Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
Many Thanks,
James
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Hi all,
I am expecting the arrival of a new addition to our family, 8 month old Ozzy. He is a Collie cross (but not sure which breed with) whos present owners have seperated and can no longer give him the time and exercise he needs and deserves.
I need advice about how much feed he will need as I last had a dog around 15 years ago and that dog was much smaller (king charles spaniel) and I am unsure of the amount and regularity of feed for this breed.
The present owners tell me they feed him bakers complete puppy feed at the moment.
Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
Many Thanks,
James
Well done on taking in this puppy(photos asap please)

Please wean him off Bakers Complete as soon as possible, it contains far too many additives, too much sugar & colourants & frequently results in a hyperactive dog.

What you wean him off to is up to you, but a good quality puppy/junior food from a company like Arden Grange, Pero, Burns, James Well Beloved etc should suit him. I always feed my all dogs over 6 months of age two meals a day, one in the morning & one in the evening. I have done this for more years than I care to remember. please do not get sucked in by TV adverts & hard sells by vets etc.

You can if you want feed him a "raw"diet which consists of raw meat, bones & vegetables-commonly called the "BARF"diet. If you put BARF into a search engine you find specializt sites in the UK.

Please enrol your dog in a dog training club that uses motivational methods(eg clicker & treat based) asap
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Raw? The vets here don't like it, see http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan05/050115ww.asp I would never risk my dog's health on a diet I have no way of testing.

Labs are about the same size. Most of mine are eating about 3-4 cups of a meat based adult food at 8 months. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

Bakers may not be the best food, but if he is doing OK on it, you might consider continuing it. While what some say about it may be valid, what they say about other common brands flies in the face of the facts.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Raw? The vets here don't like it, see http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan05/050115ww.asp I would never risk my dog's health on a diet I have no way of testing.

Labs are about the same size. Most of mine are eating about 3-4 cups of a meat based adult food at 8 months. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx

Bakers may not be the best food, but if he is doing OK on it, you might consider continuing it. While what some say about it may be valid, what they say about other common brands flies in the face of the facts.
Some vets do not like raw feeding, but some do & some even feed their own dogs raw foods

Nowhere did I say feed raw-it is an option.

Bakers is know to cause hyperactivity in Border Collies & this is due to the additives, sugars & colourants-that is not an opinion it is a known fact. Never met a vet yet that recommends feeding Bakers. The general public feed it because the dogs like it & the media tell everyone that "you have to go a long way to find a dog that hasn't tried it"Well obviously they have never been near my dogs, who have never been fed any Bakers Products.

I did advise to wean the puppy off Bakers & not simply swop the food the food for another.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2009, 04:33 PM
If people are free to suggest raw, why isn't it acceptable to suggest it isn't a good idea?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd agree with others. Baker's is a bad option for a BC, a bit like feeding a child on McDonalds all the time.
By that age he needs a good quality adult food. Avoid colourings and artificial preservatives.
My two are doing well on Burns and I've also used James Wellbeloved with no problems.
By this age you should be offering two meals a day. I usually give a bit more at night and a bit less in the morning.
As far as quantities go its varies depending on the dog and the type of food. I'd look at the directions on the packet and start from there. If he still seems hungry give a bit more and if he's leaving it give a bit less. Young collies tend to be a bit skinny and fill out as they get older. Ideally you want to feel the ribs but they should have a bit of covering.
Hope you have a lot of fun together. Don't forget to let us see some pictures.
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all the great replies.
We had Ozzy about 5 ish tonight and took him for a 5-6 mile walk to get to know him. He is hyper and untrained but I hope to sort that out, even if I have to get in the professionals.
The previous owners brought a big sack of 'Workers complete' which he seems to like, we tried him with the bakers we had bought before he came but he turned his nose up lol.
Ill put some more posts up and some pics as soon as poss but he is settling in quiet well.
Oh and he is the only dog I know who doesnt bark (so far anyway)
Thanks again,
James.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks again,
James.
good luck, you may find its simply a settling in period, My rescue staffie didnt bark for about 4months after we got him - he does now worst luck !! LOL
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
good luck, you may find its simply a settling in period, My rescue staffie didnt bark for about 4months after we got him - he does now worst luck !! LOL
He might not be barking but he loves his blanket, a little bit too much if ya get what I mean lol
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the great replies.
We had Ozzy about 5 ish tonight and took him for a 5-6 mile walk to get to know him. He is hyper and untrained but I hope to sort that out, even if I have to get in the professionals.
The previous owners brought a big sack of 'Workers complete' which he seems to like, we tried him with the bakers we had bought before he came but he turned his nose up lol.
Ill put some more posts up and some pics as soon as poss but he is settling in quiet well.
Thanks again,
James.
hi
i agree with the bakers thing(weaning him off) but you need to keep him on it while he settles in so you dont upset his tummy,once he is settled then decide what you will feed him and introduce it SLOWLY,bear in mind collies with high working drive dont often find food very high on their list of importance ,dont chop and change hes at the age where he doesnt need as much food as before and when he is settled,being a teenager he will see how far he can push you,i feed dogs of 8months 2 meals a day,i never weigh food i go by body condition,you should be able to feel his backbone at feel his ribs without too much digging.
a quick note about exercise dont just run him ragged,that will hype him up more and pump him full of adreneline ,it is mental stimulation he needs to keep him sane tricks,agility etc
i hope this helps
enjoy him
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >