View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Do you ever look at a dog. And just know you could never own it?

I know it sounds a weird question. But do you?

Every now and again I look at the dogs at work, and think I could, or couldn't have you. Tbh the only one I really want is me boy. But I know I can't, although I'm always thinking of ways I can.

But there have been countless ones that I know I couldn't have. Like recently there was a Cyprus Poodle cross, who although lovely, I would get bored with owning. Which I know sounds horrid, but she was so well behaved, did everything you ask, and is great on lead. And off I've been told, to me she had no spark. She's perfect for her owners, but I like a bit of a challenge, some cheekiness, if you get what I mean. So know dogs like this. Although perfect on paper, aren't perfect for me. On the other end of the scale are the ones that are on the go 24/7. And although I like a challenge, for me, they would be too much. They demand too much attention I could never provide it.

Then you have the nervous, which I can be too loud for, and although I can work with them for short periods, I couldn't live feeling like I'm treading on egg shells for long enough in a home to help one. I'm just the wrong personality. Which is why I admire the people who can cope with them.

So do you ever meet a dog, that you just know you couldn't own? Or do you think that you could cope with whatever they threw at you?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Absolutely, there are plenty of dogs I would never own, for various reasons.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:26 PM
All the breeds that are stated "cannot be let offlead" or "not typically loyal" whilst I know with lots and lots of training it can work, I'd prefer to have a breed that I can let offlead.

Thats not to say I don't admire those breeds though
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
All the breeds that are stated "cannot be let offlead" or "not typically loyal" whilst I know with lots and lots of training it can work, I'd prefer to have a breed that I can let offlead.

Thats not to say I don't admire those breeds though
Yep, I think Huskies are stunningly beautiful, not sure I could ever cope with one though!

I don't do OTT slobbery dogs either.

Or squished faces.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes - quite a few. I have an unreasonable dislike of drooling dogs! Would never want to own a dog with a 'miserable looking' face. Or an 'ugly' dog (although I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

For example I think GSDs are handsome - I think those wrinkly dogs are ugly!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Yep, I think Huskies are stunningly beautiful, not sure I could ever cope with one though!

I don't do OTT slobbery dogs either.

Or squished faces.
The only way I could ever own northern breeds was if I was able to do what they were bred to do with them. I know you can with rallying and rigs etc, but without transport it's hard and I don't think public transport would appreciate me taking more than 2 dogs on the bus, let alone the equipment too
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I think you can surprise yourself though. On paper Dan is a nightmare - he's jumpy and nervous and incredibly powerful. If someone described him to me I wouldn't want him. But he's MY dog and the sweetest boy imaginable. He's a total pain and I've told him if he wasn't so damned cute I'd but him in the bin He's not a dog I would have chosen, but I'd choose him again 100 times over.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Oh yes, absolutely!

For me these dogs fall into two groups:

1 - dogs I love but know I could never own. e.g. Alaskan Malamute. I practically swoon each time I see the two at our local park, and am lucky in that they let me make a fuss of them. But I don't think I would be a good owner for them, and I also like to be able to have a dog off lead for at least some of the time.
(mind you, saying that, the Malamutes at this park are both off lead...!)

Other dogs that I love but could probably never own: Leonbergers, Dogue de Bordeaux, Bullmastiff. I adore giant breeds but I know they are often shorter-lived. Also at five foot nothing and weighing under 8 stone, even my Lab is at times too strong for me.

2 - second category are dogs that I simply would never, ever choose to own because they just don't appeal to me. e.g. Chihuahua, Toy Rat Terrier, and pretty much all very small dogs.

Also included here are dogs that require a lot of grooming.

Temperament wise: I agree with you, I much prefer dogs with personality who have a bit of 'chutzpah', or 'cheek'.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Oh yes, absolutely!

For me these dogs fall into two groups:

1 - dogs I love but know I could never own. e.g. Alaskan Malamute. I practically swoon each time I see the two at our local park, and am lucky in that they let me make a fuss of them. But I don't think I would be a good owner for them, and I also like to be able to have a dog off lead for at least some of the time.
(mind you, saying that, the Malamutes at this park are both off lead...!)

Other dogs that I love but could probably never own: Leonbergers, Dogue de Bordeaux, Bullmastiff. I adore giant breeds but I know they are often shorter-lived. Also at five foot nothing and weighing under 8 stone, even my Lab is at times too strong for me.

2 - second category are dogs that I simply would never, ever choose to own because they just don't appeal to me. e.g. Chihuahua, Toy Rat Terrier, and pretty much all very small dogs.

Also included here are dogs that require a lot of grooming.

Temperament wise: I agree with you, I much prefer dogs with personality who have a bit of 'chutzpah', or 'cheek'.
Lots of Mals go off lead - they are not like Sibes really. My Mal has ace recall and so do other I know
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I adore bull breeds, and have yearned for one for years. Sadly, now, I'm too feeble to hold one, so it's never going to be, unless I find an elderly rescue happy to plod along beside me.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »