View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Alternative to low fat (expensive ) vet recommended dog food?

I am asking this question for a friend. His mini Schnauzer has been diagnosed with pancreatic problems which have now been stabilised. the vet has however put him on a low fat prescription food ( not sure which one). Is there a cheaper alternative as it costs a lot apparently.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Canidae Platinum. it is cheaper than vet diets but of much much better quality
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
That's the condition my Cassie had. She was ONLY allowed Royal Canin prescription food, either Capelin and Tapioca sensitivity control, or the very special one Royal Canin do for Pancreatic enzyme deficient which is called Digestive Low Fat, both are perfect for this type of condition. You can get them either in dried kibble or tinned, but I always used the kibble. I know of no other foods, except the special tins prescribed by the vet, but they didn't do as good a job of settling everything down as the Royal Canin did for my Cassie. Hope that helps.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I will pass the info on....thanks so much.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Both Hyperdrug and Bestpet Pharmacy do the food online, it comes the next day, and it's much, much cheaper than getting it from the vets!
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I've only just caught up with this thread. Asti had Pancreatitis a year ago and she has only been on the Royal Canin, Low Fat, Low Digestive Prescription Diet since the condition happened (the dry variety). I must say since she has been on it she hasn't had one stomach upset for a whole year, it really agrees with her even though it is expensive. Mind you she is sick to the back teeth of it but unfortunately she dosen't have a choice.
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi

You could try Burns but it would be worth giving their helpline a call first. They are really honest and won't recommend their food if they don't feel it's suitable. Their helpline number is 0800 083 66 96.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Both Hyperdrug and Bestpet Pharmacy do the food online, it comes the next day, and it's much, much cheaper than getting it from the vets!
Thats worth knowing, thanks, I'll look into that as I only buy it from the vets at the moment.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I think Hyperdrug does the Digestive Low Fat, and I used to use Bestpet for the Capelin and Tapioca sensitivity control, which is also very, very good. It may be the other way around, but you'll see on their website!
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Many Thanks Helena