Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2009, 03:45 PM

very nervous dog .... at home!

Ive written here about my dog several times before - adopted 3 years ago from local shelter at age of 6 months.... mixed breed possibly a pit.

She is STILL a very nervous dog - I see it usually around my bf who she does love a lot - but when he raises his voice - even if he is joking around - she will run to her bed in the corner and shake. I HATE this. I will tell him to call her and sometimes she will come out and other times not. Its like she doesnt know he's anger or even raised voice has nothing to do with her and yet she reacts badly.

Is there anything we can do - i know this isnt healthy. I do use prozyme in her food becuase i read that helps with nervousness (also to prevent bloat)

I also just read that "orange" dogs are prone to being more nervous - she does have orange coloring - is that true??

any idea?? THANKS
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi MB what do you do when your girl runs away to hide , best not to go after her but to ignore the behaviour no word no eye contact.
Do all you can to boost her confidence by praising her at every opportunity and try to create situations where you can praise her, getting her to sit for a treat/before she is fed/ goes for a walk/every time she comes to you/when she is being calm.

You could also try sitting with her and a little bowl of special treats like tiny chicken pieces saying 'good girl' in a soft voice getting increasingly louder giving her treats all the time so that she learns to associate a loud voice with good things, your BF too. This should be done gradually and if you find at any time that she begins to look the slightest bit scared stop immediately and return to a soft voice, she must do this at her own pace and feel comfortable with the situation.

It takes a long time to build confidence in some dogs, there are those who always remain a little anxious.

Can you buy DAP diffusers over there,they give out Dog Appeasing Pheromone and although I have not used them myself I understand they can help to calm stressed and anxious dogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2009, 06:02 PM
continued..
Have you seen this article by 'Shadowboxer' about Shy and nervous dogs, it may be of help to you

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8050