Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:42 PM

HELP - Flea treatment everywhere!!

I've just tried to apply Woody's Frontline and it's gone all over his neck.

What do I need to do?

If I wash it off it's wasted isn't it?

He keeps scratching at it and is getting it all over his paws though, and am worried he'll lick them?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:55 PM
What does it say on the packet? I would be tempted to wash it off and do another ,depending on how much has gone on him.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Well he's gone to sleep now so I guess it'll be OK?

The packet just says to avoid getting on fur as can go sticky, but then it also says to avoid contact with eyes and ingestion. But he licked his paws after scratching so I can't avoid that.

Such a stupid design!! I popped the end off as it says and it just spurted everywhere!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:01 PM
If he has licked some he may be sick at some point so just keep an eye.

I HATE the stuff.
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:16 PM
If he was scratching then perhaps he had a reaction to it. I would wash it off and not use it again if i were you. I also HATE the stuff
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:25 PM
If you do wash it off, do not repeat another one for at least a week. As some will already of got on his skin and therefore will already of started to do the job, by repeating the doseage you will risk overdosing
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Lord!!

I left it and he seems absolutely fine this morning, but it is abit sticky. Will see how he is later.

Horrid, vile, foul stuff!!! What a stupid design as well. Ergh!

ETA: thanks for all the advice guys xx
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 01:09 PM
To those that dislike it, why? And what do you use instead?
I'm alsays open to learning about alternatives.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
To those that dislike it, why? And what do you use instead?
I'm alsays open to learning about alternatives.
Hello you!
I had a pup have a really bad allergic reaction to it (of course it was never proved it was it...but I knew everything else he ahd been exposed to that day ) He was in a terrible state and it was really upsetting as there was no way at all of getting it off him at that point. I was on the phone to the emergency vets and stayed up all night with him as there was concern his airway could become affected.
It made me realise and think about what I was doing popping it on them. Our old BC HATED it and would pace and get upset after it was applied.
At least if they have an allergic reaction to a tablet you can have their stomachs pumped...there was nothing I could do for the pup...except give him antihistmaines and bathe his paws to cool him down.

Nowadays, I use garlic. I also occassionally use program tablets. In all honesty though it has been a while (touch wood) since we had any flea type incidents, years in fact (touch wood again). My only concern is ticks...

I just can't stand the stuff...it sets me on edge thinking of applying an insecticide to my dogs skin.

I used to think it was great...but the reaction my pup had was just so scary.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hello you!
I had a pup have a really bad allergic reaction to it (of course it was never proved it was it...but I knew everything else he ahd been exposed to that day ) He was in a terrible state and it was really upsetting as there was no way at all of getting it off him at that point. I was on the phone to the emergency vets and stayed up all night with him as there was concern his airway could become affected.
It made me realise and think about what I was doing popping it on them. Our old BC HATED it and would pace and get upset after it was applied.
At least if they have an allergic reaction to a tablet you can have their stomachs pumped...there was nothing I could do for the pup...except give him antihistmaines and bathe his paws to cool him down.

Nowadays, I use garlic. I also occassionally use program tablets. In all honesty though it has been a while (touch wood) since we had any flea type incidents, years in fact (touch wood again). My only concern is ticks...

I just can't stand the stuff...it sets me on edge thinking of applying an insecticide to my dogs skin.

I used to think it was great...but the reaction my pup had was just so scary.

Hiya.
I dislike using the stuff. One of our dogs was a bit unwell after playing around with each other and must have got some in her mouth awhile after it was applied. (Now I ensure it's totally dry before allowing play.

I don't apply it as often as the pack states; but do still use it. I do worry incase we get fleas here; esp with Guide dogs coming and going; don't want to infect anyone!

I don't know if you can/want to answer this, so feel free not to; What did you use for the GD pups you had. same as your own dogs?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >