Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Back to the hospital

A while ago I went to the hospital about my knee which had been getting worse. I was told this was a muscle wastage issue and would be referred for physio - who I still haven't heard from.

I'm learning to cope with my knee, I know how to take steps and how to walk downhill without bending my knee so it doesn't give way.

But now my ankle is agony. I'm managing to do less and less and quite frankly, I get scared going out without sticks in case my ankle goes. It happens several times each dog walk and I get stuck where I am until I can twist it back into position. It won't flex and point like is used to - now I have to move it around in a circle, and it's agony.

I can't use sticks with my two dogs although they are learning to walk on leads attached to my waist in case it continues to get worse but I really need something doing about it now. I can't afford private physio so I'm going to try and get them to hurry it along at the hospital. I can't live like this - I don't make a fuss of my leg hurting but friends have noticed it getting worse because I simply can't move until I've managed to manipulate it back into position.

So many people with the condition I have end up unable to walk - it doesn't usually bother me as my mobility has been much better since I got the dogs but I dread to think what would happen if I went down the same route and ended up unable to walk properly.

I'm not going to go straight to my vascular surgeon - he's useless, I'm going to go to the GP and get a referral to an orthopaedic. Even if it's not an orthopaedic problem (I don't know if it is or not) they can refer me to the right person and hopefully that won't be the vascular surgeon!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Oh Lottie, I so feel for you, you're going through the mill lately.
Hope you get through to the right person and get the treatment you want. Remember 'patient choice' is on of the NHS's new catchphrases!
*hugs*
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:04 PM
My darling girl,

Things are not going well for you at the moment and I wish there was something I could do to make things better for you, I'm here for you any time of day whenever you need a shoulder, you're so strong you have all of my admiration for what you've been through and continue to go through.

All my love as always
Lorna x
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Lottie, I am so sorry you are having so many problems. Have you tried some kind of support for your ankle. I expect you have but it is the only thing I can think of. All I can do is send you big *hugs* and hope you can get something sorted with the hospital soon.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Oh chicken, this situation is ghastly.

I so hope you can get something sorted out.

Huge hugs to you darling xx0x0x0xx
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 07:03 AM
I hope you get the GP referral and get your physio quickly *hugs*
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks all.

Heather, I wear a full leg support every day (unless, like today I have a bleed and have bandage on my leg - in which case I can't get the support on).

Thank you all for your kind words - it means a lot it really does.

I'm going to try and go swimming (pain in the ass with having a colostomy but hey ho!!) and see if working my ankle in water helps at all because I tend to be able to move it easier when I'm in the bath.

Thanks again xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Hugs to you sweetheart x Swimming is really good as you know your body weight is supported, so hoping it helps you x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
oh hun i am here for you i now just you feel with your knees and it can get you down but keep your chin up and fight hun an orthp doc is who i see so should be able to sort you hun, hope it is done quickly for you as well. Swimming is a great thing i have told to do it as well, but i can't go on my own and have no one to go with maybe one day i will. hugs to you hun. i am here if you want to talk as well xxxx
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Send Little Lady a pm and see if theres something she can do to help or suggest.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >