View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Builders started next door for 3/4 months. Sound issues with Fudge.

The builders arrived next door this morning and have begun work. They are having an extension both front and rear. the front one is less of an issue but the rear one adjoins my main lounge (party wall). Fudge is being very nervous as there is lots of banging and machinery with flashing lights. She is following me round like a little sheep.Has anyone got any advice regarding introducing her to/ignoring the reaction from her?

You may already know that she is very sound phobic. we have just got over the fireworks....
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I don't have any advice, but if you want to send her to me for her own good, then feel free

Only joking, then only thing I can say, is don't make a big fuss when there is the noise, just carry on as normal, and hopefully she'll realise there is nothing to worry about. Keep us informed
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I will keep you informed. In fact she has moved away from me slightly so hoping she will just get used to it....maybe it might even help her deal with noises elsewhere too.
jorjamae1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, i agree with I-mac77, if you dont make a big fuss over it then she'll get the message from you that its not gonna harm her and she'll start feeling better about it. Nanuk and Nova send her big doggy kisses.xx
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2008, 12:05 PM
i think it may actually be a blessing in disguise as its going to on for so long she should hopefully get used to the noise

its you i feel sorry for we have had builders next to us for the past 6 months and if i see another overweight bum hanging out to greet me i will

seriously though would it help if she could see what was happening maybe sit with her in the garden relaxed while they are working?, we had builders in last summer and the barking from Princess was worse than any cango hammering we came across a solution quite by accident one of the builders gave her a sausage roll and presto no more barking just one fluffy white dog following them everywhere (which was probably more annoying for them )
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I have taken her out there this morning to try to show her where it is cming from. She was very reluctant and did a slinky move quickly round the garden and then went in again. At the moment she is lying on the setee next to me quite relaxed but with ears pricked up attentively. I think I will just continue to ignore it and let her find her own feet regarding the garden....

Zoby, I agree about the barking.She will be awful when they start work on that one as she then goes into full protective mode........That will be my next post. LOL.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 12:26 PM
hopefully if it does go on 3/4 months fudge will get used to it and be better when the fireworks start again.. has anyone suggested rescue remedy?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
hopefully if it does go on 3/4 months fudge will get used to it and be better when the fireworks start again.. has anyone suggested rescue remedy?

We have the whole shooting match when it comes to such things , from anxiety wrap down to valerian.....

I might go and get a DAP collar though from the vets.....

Thanks for the reminder that methods for helping other things translate over into other situations. Sometimes I forget such things.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I had the same with my nervous Cass when they started all the banging upstairs, let alone the numerous comings and goings of the builders throughout the whole house! All I can say is, I introduced her to everyone, showed her what was going on, and left her to be either inside or out, out being at the back where they weren't allowed to come and go so I knew they were safe! Apart from some falling debris, she seemed to accept it all in the end, but I must say, she was a nightmare when they first started, coz of course, she'd never heard such lound bangs above her head in this house before, so it was quite understandable! Good luck, I know how nervy Fudge is, but I'm hoping she'll end up like Cassie did and settle down. There shouldn't be as much banging as I had with an extension coz they'll be bricking up won't they? Good luck. Why don't you nip to the vets and get one of those DAP collars for her, I'm sure they work! I took Georgie's off for two days and really, really noticed a difference, so I put it back on. Worth a try?!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about fudge... Takara's far more reactive to things like that and went mental when the builders were across the road.

Builders are harder to work with due to the ongoing sound but something I've found to work is to give a treat everytime a loud bang sounds. I use a clicker as it means I don't have to have food in my hand ready, it can be in my pocket or the kitchen because of the time delay you can get away with between click and treat.

When it's been an ongoing sound, I've used something like primular that you can squeeze out slowly to last longer or played a game of tuggy (not always great as the sounds can be distracting).

So whenever a frightening sound happens, I give a treat and then ignore it. If the dog freaks, I ignore it - if the dog doesn't react, I feed another treat.

I don't know what Fudge is like it sounds like she's very different to Takara in her reaction to the noise so it may not work but just thought I'd pitch in, just in case.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >