Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 02:24 PM

spotty rash groin area + enlarged nipple

Freddie has a spotty rash in his groin area, I think it's a sweat rash. Any ideas what to put on it that he won't lick off? I've tried sudocrem and if he doesn't lick it off Mya does I've also tried talc as he gets wet running through the stream in the fields so I thought this might help?

I've also noticed when tickling him last night one of his nipples is really big and sticks out almost like a female dogs nipple. It's at least 5 times bigger than his other nipples. There's no lump and he lets me touch it no probs, any ideas?

I'm gonna give it a week to see if the swelling goes down if not I'll take him to the vets
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 02:39 PM
The enlarged nipple needs to be checked out by a vet asap. Although it`s probably harmless, Male dogs can develop mammary cancer and this needs to be treated early. The rash could be heat or flea - or nettles, but you can ask your vet to look at the same time.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I didn't realise that, my vets have a saturday morning surgery I've managed to get him booked in tomorrow. I'll let you know how we get, fingers crossed I'm worried now
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Hades had the same thing a week a go all over his belly and groin...I though it could be a heat rash or from him running and playing in my nans bushes and shrubbry!
Buy anyway I used a piriton tab and it worked wonders!
I also bathed the area in warm water with a little cider vinegar...it clear up really well!
He didnt have any enlarge nipples tho?
I would wait for some more people for advise first tough,
and see what they say.
Hope we can get it sorted soon.
Keep us posted.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 04:33 PM
My staff has little red spots on her tummy and we think it's hayfever. Hope it goes well at the vets tomorrow.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi ya, I echo what's been said about the nipple.
The rash tho may well be an allergy. They do tend to get these rashes on their bellies because the hair is thinner there and so the allergens can affect the skin more easily. It may be that he is allergic to a particular type of grass pollen thats around at this time of year. Try putting a barrier cream on before a walk, vaseline would be fine. It wont hurt whatever the rash is but will provide a bit of a barrier between his skin and anything he may be allergic to.
I have seen dogs who have been allergic to a new carpet in the house, so have a think if anything has changed?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Sudocrem, it works wonders on rashes, all the vets use it too! Have no idea about the enlarged nipple though. Piritons might calm it down too. You're safe to give 3 a day (maybe 4 - in a large dog like mine) but you must make sure they're the cheaper version, the ones that DO make you drowsy, the other's aren't safe for dogs (so I've been told by my vet!) HOpe it clears up.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 08:38 AM
thanks all, took Fred to the vets, the nipple was either a bite or he'd caught it when scratching which had made it inflammed, I was so relieved!! The vet thinks the rash is a sweat rash and to keep putting sudocrem on it, I have to make sure my timing is right so he gets it on just before we go for walkies so neither of them try to lick it off
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Glad he`s OK. Best to get it checked out though.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Glad everythings fine,
Its good to hear!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >