Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jak&P
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2008, 02:41 PM

My 5 year old JRT keeps throwing up

Usually its in the middle of the night. On occasion he will during the day while we are gone. It only happens on occasion, but when it does it will be for a day or so. any advice would be great!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Is he throwing up food or just yellow bile?
Becky
Jak&P
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Sometimes its food, some times it bile. But he is eating and is acting normal as can be. He only seems to do it on occasion, last night at 1AM he wanted out and when i let him out i discovered he threw up. I cleaned it up and checked his temp when he came back in. Everything seemed normal.
He does sleep under my blanket, and i threw an extra thick on on last night coz of a cold front. Maybe he got over heated? And he also has a fear of the wind, it was super windy yesterday so i wasn't sure if he just worked himself up.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 08:27 PM
He could be over heating, if it's more usually bile then make sure he has a biscuit or something before you go to bed.
Becky
Jak&P
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I figured as much, because it seems like he only does this in the middle of the night, or during a windy day. I assumed it was nerves. Giving him a biscuit before bed won't be a problem at all!! LOL

Thank you so much!!! I will also keep an eye on things just to be safe. Hubby thinks we should switch food and see if that helps. But i think i will wait. I don't like to change things up on them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi Jak@p and welcome to Dogsey
Has your little dog always done this or is it a new thing, what do you feed and how often, does he bolt his food down ?

If you don't already do so I would feed him two small meals a day instead of one large one.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 08:12 AM
My JRT does this and its because of excess acid in the stomach.
The solution I have found is to split his feeds into 4 or more feeds per day. The first at 7am and the last being around 10pm. That helps to keep his stomach lined and stops him being sick. If I am late with a meal though he can be sick still.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I would agree with less food more often. My vet said that the stomach acid on an empty tum can be very irritating.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
the same thing was happening to my prt for 3 years, then i switched his food (because i did research and realise i was feeding him crap, Hills and Eukanuba) to Canidae. Canide doesnt contain citric acid as an preservative, and he stopped.
in the middle, i couldnt get Canidae for a month, because it was out of stock. i got him Natures variety, which is also relly good food, but contains citric acid. and he started to throw up again. back on canide, and everything is fine.
it took me a while, to figure out what it was. actually it took me nearly 4 years.

also, Greenies original, those green chews, help to lower the acid in the stomach, and they helped him a lot. while he was on Hills, and was eating greenies, one a day, he was fine.

but then... greenies are greenies, and are known to be dangerous. or lets say were, until they changed formula. but now, they are so soft, they are useless.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Just wanted to say hope he stops being sick soon. Can't advise sorry, never had the problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >