View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Sometimes I've had what feels like a muscle knotted up in my lower back and it's uncomfortable to sit on anything soft so I end up on a kitchen chair. I alternate between smelly Ralgex spray and use a tens machine which I find helps a lot.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2012, 01:57 PM
i suffer with both lower back pain and sciatica due to herniated discs so i feel your pain! for immetiate relief while in bed, i would suggest putting a cushion or small pillow between your knees when your laid down on your side (straightens up the pelvis and takes the strain off the muscles in your back)

for as far as treating the problem, you will need to see your GP so that they can diagnose whether it is a muscular problem rather than a bony/neuro problem. if its just general stiffness and you struggle to move then imho it does sound like muscular (especially if your sat at a desk, have a word with the personell manager to see if they can advise you on your posture while you are at work, they may be able to offer some solutions on that front)

if its neuro, then once diagnosed, you should be referred for physio to strengthen up your core muscles to support your lower back more, which in turn, can relieve the pressure on those nerves. again i wouldnt want to say anything for certain, but this is what i've experienced so far ...

handy hint for anybody suffering with sciatica - stand up say facing a kitchen unit, place your hands on the unit and lean forward slightly. then swing your affected leg left to right infront of your good leg. the sideways motion stretches the nerve and reduces the buildup of fluid around it, and so relieveing the symptoms. it works for me anyway!

last thing - if you attempt anything i have suggested , you do it at your own risk :P the things i have said i have found work for me. and i wouldnt like to be responsible for making anything worse!
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2012, 03:35 PM
I get a bad back after fracturing 3 vertebrae and a hip years ago, the pillow between the knees that MS has already mentioned is a great help.
I also do pilates exercises to strengthen my trunk and help with core stability, its a big help. Deffo go and see your GP first though, you can't be too careful with backs, hope you feel better soon MM.
MsT you have my sympathy, ATOS gave me the boot some months ago, they're reasoning was that I could get a wheelchair and thus solve my mobility issue. You've got to laugh or you'd cry
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2012, 03:02 PM
As a personal trainer I just wanna say: don't ignore back pain (and other joint issues)! If you have a weak back or a problem it's not gonna go away with popping painkillers or having stereoid injections.

I agree with people that have suggested seeing the GP, physio or osteopath. After seeing your GP, start with easy core exercises to build up strength.
carlyjo
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Make sure your comp screen is at eye level and try breaking every hour on the hour to do some stretching starting withe head and neck- all way down to feet as all linked. If you try doing a few mins every hour, you'll loosen up overall. I would def advise a light massage too
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by carlyjo View Post
Make sure your comp screen is at eye level and try breaking every hour on the hour to do some stretching starting withe head and neck- all way down to feet as all linked. If you try doing a few mins every hour, you'll loosen up overall. I would def advise a light massage too
I raised my monitor by putting it on an [empty] upside-down black plastic container - similar to ones that hold 2 litres of ice-cream - which brought it to the perfect height.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2