Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluebell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2009, 01:35 PM

Jealousy.

My one year old Lhasa is behaving in a really jealous way (or so it would seem).

For example...

If i am to even speak to one of my cats, she is jumping up, biting clothes/shoes, barking and if i am sat down and a cat tries to come near me she'll almost jump on them to ward them off.

Its not just this, if i am getting attention from family members/husband, she'll behave in exactly the same way. If we're sat on the sofa together, she will try and break us up.

She will react the same if my husband/son is to show affection to the cat as well.

I have tried ingoring her when i am talking to the cats - but she's very persistant!!!

Any ideas?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi there.

Firstly she must learn that what you say goes.

My rescue Hoki was very like this at first (and can still be if allowed).

What I did to start with was to teach her basic obedience - sit, down, stay. At her worst, she didn't get any attention off me unless she did something for me first (the Nothing In Life is Free principle). So for example, if she came to me wanting a pet, I'd make her sit or lie down before I did pet her.

Once this had sunk in, I started work on her 'jealousy' towards my other dog. For example, when she first came, she would get really shirty if I was trying to groom Kip. So, I would make her lie down and stay close to me on one side and then I would start grooming Kip on the other. As long as Hoki stayed where she was, very frequently I would turn and give her a tasty treat and a quick pet. Once I'd finished grooming Kip I would call Hoki to me and she would get lots of fuss.

She still has a jealous nature, but these days she knows that trying to push the other dog out or 'demanding' my attention won't get her anywhere, whereas behaving and doing what I ask is rewarding.

All your family must do the same - there is no point in you practicing this if they don't. If she is a bright girl, it won't take her long to realise what she needs to do.
bluebell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2009, 01:52 PM
She is not a very obedient dog.

For a whole year i have been trying to get her to sit/stay but all she will do is rollover. That she has grasped, everything else is impossible.

I am obviously doing something wrong.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 02:26 PM
I must admit I don't have any experience of Lhaso Apso's, but I would say that I think that her lack of obedience is at the heart of the problem - it sounds as though she is used to doing what she wants.

Do you think that she just decides it isn't worth doing what you ask or is it that she doesn't understand what you want?

If you think its that she doesn't understand, have you ever tried clicker training? It is a very good way for a dog to learn. There are several posts (and there may even be something in the Articles on it) about clicker training - but if you can't find them, let me know and I'll try and post some links for you.

I would definitely adopt the NILIF (nothing in life is free) approach with her. This means no treats, no dinner, no petting, no places of priviledge (e.g. the sofa/bed) and no play until she has done something for you first. It doesn't have to be something complicated, you can work your way up.

I'm not saying that you have to continue like this the whole of her life ...usually once a dog understands that you set the rules, you can relax how much of them you impose.