Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I personally think we have enough dogs here needing homes, without bringing more in.
Yes I agree with you, totally. Its heart-breaking to see any dog in need, no matter what location... but we have so many in need here in the UK, I cannot help thinking that the extra resources and money used to bring these dogs to the UK could be better spent tackling our problems here... . I really see no point in bringing more dogs into this country. For every dog bought into this county, you have just displaced one in the UK. Not to mention all the extra time and money compared to adopting a UK dog.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:46 PM
although i feel for these dogs, i think we have enough to help on our own door step before bringing more in.
ATD x
Michou
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Because the dog I will bring over will be to improve the breed here in the UK, this is totally different to simply bringing in a pet dog to be my pet(of course the dog I bring in will be my pet as well). He wil be better bred than any rescue & of a known health & character background.

Simply to rescue a GSD here in the UK would not be the same(particularly as I have never owned a English/pet bloodline GSD)
I'm afraid that you completely miss the point. This thread is about rehousing dogs who are in need of help from abroad. I rescued a mongrel last week (in Greece) who had a rag instead of a collar which had dug deep into his skin leaving a gaping wound all around his neck. It was horrific, and now I am looking at ways of rehousing him in Britain out of desperation, hoping that somebody will want him. I can't rehouse him here because he isn't a cute little puppy and he isn't a pure bred nobody wants the poor damaged animals.

I have saved dogs from illegal breeders and I'm sure you are a responsible breeder. What you are saying is the exact opposite of what I need to hear right now. The words pure, pedigree and crufts make my skin crawl and I wish I could redirect even 1% of the money that goes into breeding dogs into some sort of program for rehousing these beautiful, flawed and genetically complex animals that just won't live without peoples help.

While you sit filling your little island with superior beings, I'll just hang out here in the sun up to my eyeballs in filthy mongrels. Do you give them names or just points?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I feel the same about adopting dogs from abroad as I do about adopting kids from abroad. They are dogs, they need homes. Why shouldn't it be yours. They are kids. They need homes. Why shouldn't it be yours. But then again, I have a "one world, one people" way of thinking of things.
I agree. Of course a lot of this 'adopting animals from abroad' stems from people having their summer holiday absolutely ruined by seeing the state some of these rescue and street dogs are in in countries like Greece and Cyprus.

And it's almost ALL ex pat Brits who work in the sanctuaries and rescues.

Alas, our commie govt has announced a new Dog Law which will make things worse. But that's another post.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Michou View Post
While you sit filling your little island with superior beings, I'll just hang out here in the sun up to my eyeballs in filthy mongrels. Do you give them names or just points?
That`s no way to change minds.
There are many people on this Forum who support Rescues all over the world.
If you read the thread you`ll see there are many points of view - that`s the idea of a Forum.
Cruelty to animals is terrible no matter where it takes place. We do what we can.
The best way to encourage people to help is to provide positive and manageable ways they can help -
before you go on holiday, find out where the local Rescue is and spend a couple of hours there
help with raising awareness (briniging dogs to the UK is a great way to do this IMO as they are living ambassadors)
support local people who are trying to change laws
bring pressure on authorities to stop abuse.

So instead of giving way to your understandable anger, why not publicise how people can help?
Bringing dogs to the UK is not the answer for the majority of abused animals. Making it a small part of a movement to help is a more sensible and practical strategy.
(I have had a Greekie and support GAR btw)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
It is a difficult and depressing state of affairs - in UK kennels and abroad.

I think everyone has the right to choose to have whichever dog they wish - whether that be bred or rescued in this country, or bred or rescued from abroad.

I fear that the rescue situation will never be resolved.

Needy dogs are needy dogs though - whether they are here or abroad. I can completely understand someone falling in love with a particular dog while on their holiday and wanting to bring it home.

I have had rescue dogs in the past and will have again in the future. I volunteer for GSD Rescue and help individual dogs of other breeds also find new homes where and when I can. We can only do what we can.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If you read the thread you`ll see there are many points of view - that`s the idea of a Forum.
Cruelty to animals is terrible no matter where it takes place. We do what we can.
The best way to encourage people to help is to provide positive and manageable ways they can help -
before you go on holiday, find out where the local Rescue is and spend a couple of hours there
help with raising awareness (briniging dogs to the UK is a great way to do this IMO as they are living ambassadors)

So instead of giving way to your understandable anger, why not publicise how people can help?
Bringing dogs to the UK is not the answer for the majority of abused animals. Making it a small part of a movement to help is a more sensible and practical strategy.
Very good points made.

When I moved over here I was so distressed about the CAT situation but not in a position to take in a stray (nor would I - I might save one but there are 100s of 1000s still in need.

I volunteered and worked 3 mornings a week in the local Malcolm Cat Sanctuary - hands on - cleaning, administering meds, feeding and playing with them. Made me feel less helpless about the situation.

Even if you only VISIT the sanctuaries in the resort where you holiday and bung them a few quid or drop off some litter or food - it makes a HUGE difference. They are stretched to their limit but these places are helping HUNDREDS of abused and unwanted animals and they have them all spayed and neutered too (cats - dogs are PTS if cannot be rehomed)
Michou
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post

what you say is of course correct. I wasn't trying to change minds. I rehouse dogs at my own expense and I do it for the love of the animals and out of compassion. I am not an enthusiast or a breeder and I see a clear definition here. I was lashing out because I value all dogs, not just the ones that have a clear bloodline. What I see is somebody who would have the world filled with only pure bred dogs and away with the rest of them. Add to that that this person is a breeder and would stand to gain financially from such an endeavor.

Like I say. I don't expect to change minds.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
My friend who had Fizz and the others in need of homes brought 6 back with her from Spain. She had been heavily involved in rescue and neutering over there. She had to have 5 dogs PTS because they would not have managed the journey or they were too damaged to cope with it and the life here. The same with her cats.

Neutering one female dog will prevent a possible 16 + extra dogs hitting the streets. Neutering programmes are really important.

I certainly don't feel any guilt at all at taking in the one who is on my lap at the moment! Why on earth should I?

rune
shadowlandsbg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2012, 06:11 PM
In all these countries you will also find charities who neuter/spey strays and village animals for free or very small cost. In Bulgaria this is ''Four Paws'' who visit our area once a year to treat the strays - they also leave money for food for the coming year and appoint someone to deliver it a couple of times a week to places the strays congregate. Many villagers are old and do not understand the need for preventing litters We ourselves have taken in a couple of dogs (one was a stray who 'adopted' us, the other we saved from the bullet and nursed him back to health) but friends of ours have done so much more (and now have no room for themselves at home due to the 20+ cats and kitens and 15 dogs!!) If people research before heading off for their 2 weeks holiday, I'm sure these great animal charities could benefit from contributions too. Not only are they dealing with the existing animals but are educating the people that it is better to spey/neuter (we are taking our neighbours' 3 cats to Four Paws this year) and are making sure that the existing population of animals at least have a couple of good meals a week.

Sorry if this was a bit OT
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4