Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Food storage

How do you store your dried dog food/kibble?

We've always used this - http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shopzilla_u..._storage/13680 - kept in the cupboard under the stairs but it was suggested that it might not be the best way to keep food that is obviously in there for a long time.

Thoughts?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I stored my dry when I fed it in a galvanised dustbin under the stairs always fine. Now I store the rats food in plastic bins and that's fine too.

Only thing I would feel with the bins in the link would be they aren't mouse proof but if you don't have a mouse problem look fine to me. Also I wonder if they would let in damp sorry don't mean to be so negative
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 12:04 PM
We buy 3 or 4 sacks of dog food at a time. When in storage, sacks are dumped into plastic dustbins in the garage (no mice problem here)... exactly the same as the chicken's layers pellets

When it's open, the sack sits in our utility room, with the top folded down and over when not in use.

Can't be bothered with expensive bits and bats of kit for sacks of dog food!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
When it's open, the sack sits in our utility room, with the top folded down and over when not in use.
Same here - we usually have one 15kg bag of Arden Grange in for the foster dogs. We just keep it in the kitchen, with the top folded down and a clip that I got at PAH to keep it closed.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm sure I've read somewhere that it is important to keep kibble sealed in air tight containers, but I can't remember exactly why - something to do with mites and the kibble going off if it gets damp?

Need to go and have a search now and see if I can find something more about that.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2009, 01:07 PM
With 5 dogs food doesn't hang around for long, although we usually have more than one bag on the go at a time and we use these to store them in. They are airtight too.

IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm sure I've read somewhere that it is important to keep kibble sealed in air tight containers, but I can't remember exactly why - something to do with mites and the kibble going off if it gets damp?

Need to go and have a search now and see if I can find something more about that.
Would be interesting to read anything you find...

We've never had trouble with kibble etc going off... doesn't really hang around for long enough with Murphy munching it!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Here is a link to one website I've found with something about it. i'm sure there is more, but don't have time to look properly just now.

http://www.heska.com/allercept/client_info.asp#mites

Controlling Storage Mite Exposure

Storage mites are often found in grain bins and dry feed stuffs including dog and cat food. Pets exposed to stored product mites by consumption of food containing these mites are therefore at risk of sensitization and allergic reaction. Storage mite bodies and mite feces are a source of potent allergens. Dogs and cats may be exposed to mite body parts and excreta through inhalation and percutaneous absorption of such allergens.

One of the storage mites, Tyrophagus putrescentiae, the mold mite, is very common but usually goes unnoticed except in occasions when it becomes abundant. Mold mites only develop where there is moisture or high humidity. Infestations have been found in cheese, flour, grain, seeds, bulbs, straw, wallpaper, furniture, dried fruits, and cereal foods. Since even dry foods have some amount of moisture (usually around 10%) they are susceptible to mold and provide an optimum breeding ground for the storage mites. Hypersensitivity to storage mites is a worldwide problem. Data and information regarding allergy to storage mites has increased rapidly over recent years.

Hyposensitization therapy can be effective in atopic patients with storage mite allergy. Some patients are sensitive only to mites, and in these cases immunotherapy is highly effective. In addition, an effective environmental control regimen can prove useful in minimizing the patient's discomfort and lessening immediate signs of allergy.

Although it is virtually impossible to totally eliminate storage mites from the environment, steps can be taken to inhibit their multiplication and thereby minimize exposure to storage mite allergens.

The following suggestions should prove useful in controlling storage mite populations:

Store pet foods in airtight containers. Avoid storage of pet food in garages, sheds or basements.
Do not use old or outdated pet food. Check food for dust, mold or odors and remove questionable food from the house and discard immediately.
Wash food containers frequently in detergent and HOT (130 F) water. Dry completely before refilling with food.
Dispose of pet food bags immediately outside of the house.
Do not stockpile foods. Purchase only what is needed for 30 days at a time.
Avoid keeping fruit and other foods that can mold on the counter.
Check food bags for tears or holes prior to purchase.
Low quality pet foods with a high quantity of particulate debris at the bottom of the bag should be avoided."
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I am not sure I remember about mites being a problem, but it sounds believable. I have heard that oxygen degrades dog food including some of the vitamins.

That nylon container might be OK if it is coated to exclude air and moisture.

We have a plastic bin Pro Plan was giving away years ago. With a little work, we can even get a 40 pound bag in it, bag and all. The folded down bag provides another layer of protection. I was pleased that Wal-Mart recently started carrying a 30 pound bag of Iams at less per pound than the 40 pound ones elsewhere. I like that size better than the 17.5 or 40 pounds ones, neither having to run to the store all the time or lasting forever.

One more advantage of keeping the bag inside another container is you have the bag if you ever need to check it. None of the common brands of kibble were part of the terrible recall the year before last, but who knows what might happen.

If you want the convenience and economy of buying larger sizes, I would buy an air and moisture tight container big enough to put the bag in. I have even seen screw top containers made for dog food.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 03:45 PM
We have a large plastic container that Ikea sells for recycling. the front flips up and you can just scoop while still using the top for storage or for stacking others on....Not sure thsy still mkae them though.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »