Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:30 AM

Itching in otherwise healthy young dog - severe itching leading to baldness

We're quite concerned about Dudley - so he has a vet appointment this afternoon - but we wanted some other opinions before going in, just so we know what to bring up with the vet. He's been itching like mad the last few days, really chopping at himself with his teeth too - so now his abdomen area looks really scratched and red and sore, and is very warm to touch. The hair around there feels as though it's been clipped short too - presumably by his teeth. He's even starting to go bald on the backs of his legs - and this is quite a recent thing.

We have scoured him with flea comb etc, and found only 4 fleas in as many weeks, and so I'm not sure that fleas are his problem. He's itching all over, but his abdominal area seems to be suffering the major brint - and his bottom too.

Other than this he is 100% healthy and fit, with a glossy coat and he seems very happy. - I just don't know what to think...

could it be a bladder infection or something? which is why he's chewing his lower end so much? to try to get at where it hurts? or could it be his winter coat coming through and causing him discomfort? or perhaps mites? though it doesn't seem right to me as I thought they usually started around the face, head, elbows etc?

anyway - I would be very very greatful for some input on this our appointment is at 4.30.

thanks very much - will try to get clear pics later.

xx
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Could be an allergy. have you changed his food, taken him somewhere different for a walk, changed your floor washing liquid, or used anything to deodorise carpets furniture etc. or even changed the washing up liquid you use. Do you have ants in the garden or harvest mite in your area ? Sorry the list does go on and on if it is an allergy. Hope you get his sorted this afternoon, Kath
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:45 AM
well this is the thing - we are creatures of routine - and nothing has changed recently - we use the same things we always have. I've racked my brain for an allergy - thinking that's what it could be and I can't think of anything. Just in case, while he's itchy though, we have changed his food to rice or cous cous with chicken or turkey or other meat and fresh veg. He seems to really enjoy the change even though it doesn't seem to be having any effect on the itching.

I'm pretty sure now that it's fleas actually - and perhaps he's having an allergic reaction to those? oor... as wouldn't surprise me with our doodles - he's had a few bites and is overgrooming himself? He does seem to get into habits and will not stop. We are doing our best to stop him itching - but it doesn't seem to be working heh...

would a collar perhaps be a good idea to stop him scratching so much?

xx
minter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Does sound like an allergy. My dog had the same symptoms for ages and the vets carried out loads of tests. Turns out he`s allergic to DUST.
Hope you get it sorted later.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:49 AM
OK - here are the pics of him:

overall view

various close ups of sore patches

his back legs - where he's chewed the fur off in the last couple of days

xx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Poor lttle mite what a shame sounds like an allergy. One of dachies had a similar thing and I gave him fresh raw minced spinnach in his meals and this seemed to help
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Has the grass been cut near where you walk him, my aunts dog has a similar rash type itch right now but we know he has an allergy and the council have been and cut the grass in the sheltered accomodation where she lives. He is on preds to control the itch, this happens every summer. During the winter he does not have a problem.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 11:23 AM
no - where we walk him hasn't changed either - and we've no grass in the back yard either very confusing.

thanks very much for all your replies and help though - it's thought provoking at least

Perhaps he's allergic to the fleas? you think?

xx
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Could well be, or if you have put any flea repellant or cream to treat the soreness could be that. Definately a job for the vet. Let us know how you get on Kath
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:24 PM
This is definitely the worst time of year for fleas and I always spray the house at this time of year as well as treating the dogs. When you go to the vet, you can get a massive can of Indorex and spray all the skirting boards well. Failing that, you can buy those "flea bombs" from P@H and set them off in each room leaving the door closed, job done! I'm sure it's an infestion of fleas which they've brought indoors and they're breeding. Those sores certainly look like flea bites to me? See what the vet says anyway, and best of luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >