Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
adamsNancy
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Hi! I'm New Here

Hi new user here! I was wondering what si the difference between microchips and dog gps trackers and which is better for you.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2017, 07:03 AM
What happens when the battery runs out on a gps tracker if your dog is missing? The tracker could also be removed from the dog. At least if microchipped and they are lost they can be scanned for a chip and reunited.

There has been quite a few references to trackers this month so you might find some info in these posts.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2017, 12:53 PM
AFAIK a microchip doesn't track lost dogs .

My dogs are microchipped and if they get lost and are found by someone , a scanner will reveal the microchip number and they can then find my name , address and contact number.
Airwrecka
New Member!
Female 

26-07-2017, 08:07 AM
A microchip is a device used to locate the owners of lost dogs by scanning them, while a gps dog tracker is used for the owners to locate their dogs.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Here you are required by law to microchip your dog but it sounds to me that the use of a tracker as well could prove beneficial.

Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Here you are required by law to microchip your dog but it sounds to me that the use of a tracker as well could prove beneficial.
I don't know if it's mandatory here but ours also has a tag with just our name and phone number on it.
Tiruriru
New Member!
Male 

28-07-2017, 03:32 AM
Like what the others said, microchips are implanted in your dog, so it can't just fall off like regular collars, while a dog tracker is usually used by people who go hunting with their dogs.