View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Doggy friends sticking up for each other :)

Just been over the park with Dutch and we met up with his friends, 2 GSDs. Ones 10 years and he's called Duke and ones called Kia (Dutchs best friend ) and shes 19 months. Both are gorgeous dogs and so friendly. Dutch gets so excited when he sees Kia and they chase each other and play lovely and Kia's owner says that she pulls to get to the park and if Dutch isnt there she seems so disappointed lol.

Today a rottweiler X came into the park. He played with Dutch, Kia and Duke and i thought Dutch had made another friend. But then the rotty started barking at Dutch and kept rolling him onto his back, which Dutch wasnt enjoying.
Then he pinned Dutch on his back and Kia charged over, pushed the rotty and slapped him with her paw.
Might be me looking into it but it was just like she was sticking up for her friend

then everytime the rotty got abit too rough with Dutch she would push him away, slap him and stand in the middle of them.
It was lovely to see and probably just me putting human thoughts into a dogs actions but it was just like she was sticking up for her bestie

any one else experienced something like this?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:01 PM
That is a nice story! That's what friends are for.

I remember when I had my 2 Cairn terriers and they were getting on a bit. Rusty had another dog fly up to him growling and Angus barked at it and chased it away.

I was surprised as I had never known him be "nasty" to another dog in all his life-he had a wonderful temperament but he was sticking up for his older "brother"!
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Aww ive decided i love stories like this,
they really melt my heart
its so sweet to know that our fur babies have someone to stick up for them if they need it
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:21 PM
When I lived in Canada we used to go to a park and meet up with the same people, we used to chat and the dogs played.

A new person joined the group with a young Mastif who started bullying the smaller dogs.

My dog a cross Collie / Husky gave him a good telling off so he then behaved himself in future.

My dog was one of the friendliest dogs going, normally.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:26 PM
my mums oldest girl zara, tells the other 3 off if she thinks the play is getting too much, or if you tell one of the dogs off, she then goes and tells them off after it, its quite strange to watch but i had to get under control was she was grabbing my dog at the side of his neck and growling and telling him off as soon as i let him go out with the other dogs in the garden, she doesnt do that now though lol, i used to just ground her if she did.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I find dogs stick up for each other, Louie and Sadie were playing with a lab, and she started getting bolshy with Louie so Sadie stepped in, She also tells Benjie off when he's about to snap at Louie (we're still working on his dislike for the pup)

I used to walk a rottie, only 10 months old and she started getting bolshy once, she was playing with a short legged JRT once and got too much for the little 'un, I thought Sadie was joining in in this horrible game of chase...but she pinned Kiera (Rottie) down and they then continued to play like old friends again. SO I find dogs do stick up for each other, but in Sadie's case she's like the ever watchful grand/mother, It's great that Dutch has found a freind who can stick up for him.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2010, 07:30 PM
My sister in Aberdeen used to keep our old family Cocker Spaniel. Donna. At the time of this story, Donna was about 15, and, apparently smelled permanently on-heat (to other dogs).

Anyway, one day, sis brought her down to Edinburgh for a couple of days, and we took her for a short, slow walk with my neighbour's dog, a 9-month old CS pup called Maxie. Maxie only ever got nose-to-nose with Donna. A horrible-looking terrier thing came sniffing round Donna's rear and was definitely "trying it on". All of a sudden, there was a mighty roar from Maxie, and he came hurtling round at the terrier. which promptly took off up the park at high speed!

A case of a young pup defending his aged lady friend.

Snorri
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
When I lived in Canada we used to go to a park and meet up with the same people, we used to chat and the dogs played.

A new person joined the group with a young Mastif who started bullying the smaller dogs.

My dog a cross Collie / Husky gave him a good telling off so he then behaved himself in future.

My dog was one of the friendliest dogs going, normally.
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
my mums oldest girl zara, tells the other 3 off if she thinks the play is getting too much, or if you tell one of the dogs off, she then goes and tells them off after it, its quite strange to watch but i had to get under control was she was grabbing my dog at the side of his neck and growling and telling him off as soon as i let him go out with the other dogs in the garden, she doesnt do that now though lol, i used to just ground her if she did.
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I find dogs stick up for each other, Louie and Sadie were playing with a lab, and she started getting bolshy with Louie so Sadie stepped in, She also tells Benjie off when he's about to snap at Louie (we're still working on his dislike for the pup)

I used to walk a rottie, only 10 months old and she started getting bolshy once, she was playing with a short legged JRT once and got too much for the little 'un, I thought Sadie was joining in in this horrible game of chase...but she pinned Kiera (Rottie) down and they then continued to play like old friends again. SO I find dogs do stick up for each other, but in Sadie's case she's like the ever watchful grand/mother, It's great that Dutch has found a freind who can stick up for him.
These are lovely stories, hooray for doggie friends

It is nice that Dutch has a friend that defends him, but unfortunatly Kia is moving away the first week in November
Her owner told me she is going to live with his daughter, which is really sad as she's a lovely girl and honest to god one of the only friendly dogs in this area.

Oh well, i will have to do some doggy stalking to find him a new friend !
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
My sister in Aberdeen used to keep our old family Cocker Spaniel. Donna. At the time of this story, Donna was about 15, and, apparently smelled permanently on-heat (to other dogs).

Anyway, one day, sis brought her down to Edinburgh for a couple of days, and we took her for a short, slow walk with my neighbour's dog, a 9-month old CS pup called Maxie. Maxie only ever got nose-to-nose with Donna. A horrible-looking terrier thing came sniffing round Donna's rear and was definitely "trying it on". All of a sudden, there was a mighty roar from Maxie, and he came hurtling round at the terrier. which promptly took off up the park at high speed!

A case of a young pup defending his aged lady friend.

Snorri
love this story, how sweet of Maxie!
I dont think Dutch would ever be the defender, maybe he'll always be the defendee (being short makes people want to stick up for you! )
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2010, 08:24 PM
God forbid any dog that gets rough with Tia when Oz and Snoop are with her ..lol