Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lincslady2
New Member!
Female 

24-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Ideas for sensitive labrador's food

Hi, we have a lovely old black lab, he has had a lot of health problems including a very sensitive stomach. We had a lot of problems finding something that didn't upset him eventually finding that chicken with cereal worked well. Being a typical Lab he's so greedy and will eat anything in sight, including mouldy bread dropped by the birds, this causes infections, which he has again at the moment, and is on antibiotics for that.(he also gets the most awful windy problems! is charcoal recommended for that please?)
He's recently started to have trouble again, and we thought of trying to find something different, someone suggested we try semolina instead of cereal, does anyone know about this please? We are open to any helpful suggestions, many thanks.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Does he eat very rapidly? That can lead to problems. He may be chewing even less as he ages. Slowing him down might help. There are not one, but 2 easy, tested, effective ways to control rapid eating. You can spread the food out on a cookie sheet or something. Some of my friends just throw it on the floor of the crate. You can put large rocks in the food dish, much to big to swallow. Either way, the dog can't gulp down one big mouthful after another.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-05-2010, 05:11 PM
A few of us on here who have dogs with sensitive tummies have gone onto a fish based food, fish4dogs it has no cereals or fillers in it so if your dog is sensitive to grains this might help.

You can get sample bags from their website for a £1 each.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by lincslady2 View Post
Hi, we have a lovely old black lab, he has had a lot of health problems including a very sensitive stomach. We had a lot of problems finding something that didn't upset him eventually finding that chicken with cereal worked well. Being a typical Lab he's so greedy and will eat anything in sight, including mouldy bread dropped by the birds, this causes infections, which he has again at the moment, and is on antibiotics for that.(he also gets the most awful windy problems! is charcoal recommended for that please?)
He's recently started to have trouble again, and we thought of trying to find something different, someone suggested we try semolina instead of cereal, does anyone know about this please? We are open to any helpful suggestions, many thanks.
Hi Marion welcome to Dogsey .
As Lynn suggests a fish based food may be the answer, Fish 4 dogs or Wafcol salmon and potato are two recommended by many here. You can find stockist from their websites or buy direct.

Green tripe is very good for dogs (you could feed two small meals a day, one of tripe and one of fish and rice based kibble) or maybe consider one of the newer raw based diets like Darlings or Natural Instinct

Raw...
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Marion welcome to Dogsey .
As Lynn suggests a fish based food may be the answer, Fish 4 dogs or Wafcol salmon and potato are two recommended by many here. You can find stockist from their websites or buy direct.

Green tripe is very good for dogs (you could feed two small meals a day, one of tripe and one of fish and rice based kibble) or maybe consider one of the newer raw based diets like Darlings or Natural Instinct

Raw...
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/
Hi lincslady2
I can definitely recommend the Wafcol salmon and potato, although for our dog it is used because of allergies it is also brilliant for sensitive tums.

As to the wind problem, the Wafcol (don't know about tripe etc.!) will most definitely not solve it, so charcoal biccies might be good to have to hand
Sandra_Nic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:15 PM
When my dog has an upset stomach, our vet always suggests boiled rice and chicken - the plainer the meal the better. She is the fussiest eater on earth but she always eats this. I slowly introduce some kibble specially for sensitive tummies (science diet)

Hope he feels better soon
lincslady2
New Member!
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Thank you so much for all of the replies and advise, I will send for some samples of the fish type food recommended, potatoes upset him too, I'm sure we'll get there eventually!
Once again, many thanks for your help.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Are you sure it's the diet and not all the extras he may be stealing??
There are lots if sensitive foods out there I liked jwl but one dog stunk on it so changed to beta which is fine (no they on an equilivant so poo less than on beta). Chappie is also really good for sensitive stomachs both meat and dry.
I have never met a lab that doesn't inhale their food lol
ATD x
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2010, 10:18 AM
We have had 17 Labs plus a cross. Most of them ranged from bad to horrible about eating. One refused to eat enough to hide his ribs.
JeannieB
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Fish4Dogs certainly settled my Gemmas sensitive tum. We get their cod diet & we give Gem the Sea Jerky treats as they are good for sensitive tums too.

I would avoid any food that has cereals in it (including rice) and it seems that a surprising number of dogs have a problem digesting chicken. Beware that some brands coat the kibble in chicken fat to enhance palatability.

Hope you can sort your lovely old boy out. Let us know how you get on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >