View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Frances Drummon
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2014, 08:26 PM

How DoggieDoors andfencedYard makes dog ownership a breeze.

I have owned 3 Poms for a total of 28 years, and I have always had Doggie Doors and a fenced in backyard. It has never taken more than 1 housebreaking mistake to teach my dog when doggie doors are to be used. By having doggie doors, you eliminate stress for yourself and for your pet. Your pet can always get outside unless you close the doggie dog. If you are late getting home, or a long sleeper, or work long hours, your pet can still get outside. No more guessing if your pet needs to go out. For doggie doors to be completely successful, you must have a small or medium size dog. You must also have a breezeway or a room that is not heated or air conditioned for an outside doggie door to be placed, and then a doggie door that comes directly into your heated or air conditioned home. If you do not have this, your heat and air conditioning will be trying to heat or air cool the outside. This may seem like a lot of work, but it really pays off in the long run for you and your dog. Doggie doors are available on [link removed]. No electricity is involved in this procedure.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2014, 08:24 AM
it also makes dog theft a breeze too...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
it also makes dog theft a breeze too...
I've had a dog for for years, it is only an invitation for dog theft if 1. The dogs are left alone & there is easy access to the garden & 2. The dogs are stealable.

I would never leave my Cavalier alone with the dog door open(would never leave him alone period)& I would love to meet the thief brave enough to try to steal one of my collies. If I did meet such a person it would be in the hospital where they were having treatment.
Frances Drummon
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2014, 08:03 PM
I have had doggie doors for 28 years and three different Poms. The first Pom was left with the doggie doors open for 12 hours 5 days a week. The second dog was left only for an hour or two any day for 10 years. My present dog is also left an hour or two with the doggie doors open. I do not think that anyone would try to enter the door to get either of the last two. The first dog was very sweet and could have been taken if anyone was fast enough, but I have not had any problems for 28 years.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2014, 12:20 AM
I might add that we have problems with wild raccoons and possums. Just what I need to wake up to, a raccoon having ravaged our kitchen.
Frances Drummon
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2014, 02:29 AM
I also live in an area where raccoons and possums are. In fact, a raccoon had her babies in my chimney. But I think, because they could smell a dog, they do not even try to get into the doggie doors. Once my Pom killed a squirrel and carried it into the house. A different dog, slaughtered baby bunnies, but that is all that happened in 28 years of doggie doors.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2014, 02:37 AM
You're lucky to have hunters. We had a family of mice inside our couch. Six cats, two dogs and we had no idea until the couch was lifted one day. The damage left indicates they were active and in the house for quite some time. Lazy meatloves, if the food bowl is full why would you catch a mouse?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 03:09 AM
My dogs are 85 and 54 lbs respectively, a big Lab mix and a GSD/pitty mix... too big for dog doors. Not useful for me, besides the cats can escape through them and random outdoor animals can come in (we live right near the forest).

Theft is not an issue at all. Jade will maul anybody that tries to steal her, our house is very well protected anyway, and Nigredo is with me at almost all times.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
My biggest issue (bar theft concerns - i have a secure garden and not sure anyone would try to steal my boy but even so he does not go outside unsupervised) would be the berluddy chickens coming in they are obsessed with coming in the house to see if they can scrounge anything and poop on the floor grrr!!