Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Is eating yucca dangerous?

Hello,

just got home and found a few shredded yucca leaves on the floor and i am worried that El Vez has swallowed some. Are these dangerous for dogs? (The plant has not been fed in a while and gets sprayed with water.)
Off to find a new spot or the plant.

Many thanks
Sandrine
dolby
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-01-2010, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't have thought so, many dog foods (burns, csj) contain yucca or yucca extract - so at least you know it can't be poisonous, (although these will be in very small quantities.)
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 12:17 AM
No I'm sure your dog will be ok. My collie X ate my yucca when he was 6 months old. The whole lot gone!! He had no ill effects at all. I was annoyed though coz I'd been growing it for ages!!
Elisabeth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2010, 01:13 AM
If you notice your pup acting a little 'off' then you can give them activated charcol which will make them throw up what they previously ate. It is not harmful to the dog in any way, just give the amount desired by weight (should be on the bottle).

Also, if you notice loose stool (which may occur depending on how much puppy ate) you can give puppy a spoonful of pumpkin to bind things together.

Slippery elm works well for upset stomaches as well. You can order this online or purchase from a local pet store.